Using our works of art without permission

This is where I went. The site is full of spelling errors etc. They claim they have 6 painters producing all the work (in the about section).

I went to that site, I don’t recognize anyone’s works. They just may be legit.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, too, Linda. They could actually be producing original paintings. One of the customer reviews said they were able to work with the seller to customize the painting.

No. They are not legit. Please read through this thread. I looked again at their Etsy shop and I recognize three real artists, one from UK, and two US. They steal images from the internet and copy them. Not legit!
I saw in their “reviews” a painting by an artist I personally know-- if you look at the listing image (which is hers and well done) then compare that to what this Chinese studio produced (image provided by the buyer after they received their painting), it is ridiculously inferior.

Donna I’m glad you noticed that, especially spotting an artist you know. Your right they aren’t legit, makes me sick inside. Your friend should contact Etsy.

I know this is a lengthy thread so I hesitated in adding this but I decided it might just be useful for several artists here.
I was watching a YouTube video by Trisha Adams about " An amazingly effective thing you can do when someone is selling copies of your artwork!". It’s pretty clever really. She opens with how to take down the listing but how that doesnt really have any repercussions for the offender. So she wisely went straight to their commerce platform. In her case - PayPal.
Here is a link to her video on that:
An amazingly effective thing you can do when someone is selling copies of your artwork! - YouTube :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Lori,

Thanks for posting the link! It was actually Linda McCoy on this thread who mentioned they got results working with PayPal that gave me the idea. Once I tried it, I realized how much more effective it is than filing a DMCA with the hosting company.

Trisha

2 Likes

Thanks for the shout-out Trisha, and for making the informative video!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. It was helpful!

1 Like