The Coming PayPal Fee Increase

I would rather pay DPW with my debit card than credit card. Would we still get notifications each month for the draw? I would love to move away from PayPal but I know customers are used to using it and it makes things easy for me since I’m not good at the tech stuff. I figure I would increase the price of my paintings a bit to cover the extra PayPal cost. Good option? Not sure but the thought of switching everything over to something else leaves me exhausted by the prospect.

Hi Deborah,

Yes, DPW will send you notifications when you have been billed, just as PayPal does now. Additionally, DPW will also begin sending out notifications in advance of billing with links for changing the payment method and for cancelling, if desired.

I’m happy to use my business credit card to pay my DPW membership. Could you please explain the process of how I would accept payment for a sale if I choose to no longer use paypal or eBay?

Thanks David. I’ll check with my bank but I don’t think it would be a problem. I don’t currently use a debit card but I could get one for my checking account.

Oh, one more thought, please DON’T link up with Amazon Pay! That company gives me the heebie jeebies! I’ve been listening to a (six-parts so far) news program on NPR about Amazon, and everything I’ve learned from it only cements my already low confidence in how that company does business.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. And I think you said it very well.

I will continue to use PayPal. The fifty cents per month is worth the hassle free problem solving provided when dealing with buying or selling conflicts. Additionally, the record keeping at PayPal allows me to provide instant tax information. The only other secure payment option I would be interested in is Apple Pay.

Hi Helen,

To accept cc payments you do have to have an account with a payment processor, such as PayPal. There is no way around that. That said, happily PayPal isn’t the only payment processor available. Some others are Square, Stripe, Apple, Google, Amazon. So far, only PayPal, which has had its best year ever, has dramatically increased its fees.

After a bunch of research I have decided to go with Stripe.com for processing our membership fees paid with credit and debit cards. Their fees are the same as what PayPal’s were before PayPal significantly increased them and Stripe has said they have no intention to raise theirs.

As with PayPal, to accept card payments, you would have to have an account with Stripe, who will process the transactions. And, as with PayPal, you would periodically transfer money from your Stripe account to your linked bank account. Unlike PayPal, Stripe is only about accepting payment, which they do very well. They are not for buying things online, as PayPal also is.

I have long been with PayPal and found creating a business account with Stripe, including verifying my and DPW’s identity, was very straightforward and, in fact, easy.

Stripe has a terrific and modern UI (user interface) for managing one’s account, customers, and payments. Much better, in my experience, than PayPal.

After I role out Stripe for member payments, I will be doing the same for buyer payments to artists. There has been a lot of integration and programming involved, so I want to get it right on our end first, before expanding it to buyer payments.

David

1 Like

Hi David,
As always thank you for being responsive to questions. I am not at all familiar with Stripe.com …nor are my collectors. I will wait to see what transpires with theses changes before making any decisions. I really do not want to add yet another platform to my business but am willing to change if necessary. eBay & Paypal are simply well know and trusted . Keep us all updated and your efforts are appreciated.
Helen

Hi Helen,

I wouldn’t expect that Stripe.com would be well known since they are simply a payment processor for credit and debit cards. Unlike with PayPal, a buyer would not need a Stripe account. From their perspective, they are simply paying with their card instead of their PayPal account. Stripe is only a backend credit and debit card payment processor and not effectively a bank like PayPal.

For you as an artist, however, if you chose to offer card payments rather than PayPal as an option, and it would be your choice, you would have to have a Stripe.com account.

The PayPal’s fee increase is in two parts:

The percentage fee increase - 2.99% to 3.49%
The per transaction fee increase - $0.30 to $0.49

The smaller the transaction amount, the bigger the relative amount of the second fee, the per transaction fee.

For artists, depending on the price of their artwork, this per transaction fee increase may be negligible. For DPW, since all our transactions are relatively small, the per transaction fee increase is relatively large.

So, choosing to continue to only offer PayPal to your buyers as a purchasing option may work well for you and other artists.

David

Thanks for the further explanation, David! I do know that some of my collectors would appreciate NOT having to go through Paypal & simply pay by credit card. So, am I understanding this correctly, that I can offer an option while still maintaining my past payment collection through paypal or must I choose one method or the other? What about buyer and seller protections? Would that simply be the normal channels of dispute that are offered by credit card companies?
Helen

Yes, I would accept paying directly on my credit card. And I’m interested in knowing another way of accepting payment from buyers other than PayPal. I’ve been limiting my use of PayPal for a while now, because I don’t like being held hostage in my choices…Thanks David.

I’d be happy to see direct credit/debit card payments! And I think buyers might like a non-Paypal payment option from their end, too. I appreciate DPW thinking of how to keep costs manageable for members!

I have not tried this on DPW, but if I’m not mistaken, there is an option to checkout as a guest on PayPal. see: PayPal

@Daily_Paintworks David, maybe these parameters aren’t available between the apps, but would be good to know in case someone asks. Despite the rate increase, I like using PP for a wide variety of transactions. TIA for any comments/clarifications. Thank you for catching this and implementing a change so rapidly - you really take care of us!!!