The Coming PayPal Fee Increase

As many of you may know, PayPal has announced they are increasing their fees in early August.

You can read about it here:

https://newsroom.paypal-corp.com/2021-06-18-Upcoming-Changes-for-Some-US-Businesses

This will increase the PayPal fees our artists pay for selling their work by at least 50% and what we will pay on our membership fees by 65%, which is about 50 cents more per member per month.

In response, we are planning to offer, at least, two new payment options - Amazon Pay and direct credit card payment - both for artists to pay their membership fees and for buyers to pay our artists for their art. Both options have fees that are the same as PayPal’s are before the increase.

We have not increased our membership fee from $12.95 for the last 10 years and we don’t intend to. Instead, we are planning to give our artists the option of switching over to Amazon or direct credit card payment to pay their membership fee. Then, we would pass on the PayPal fee increase of 50 cents to the artists who chose to continue to pay with PayPal.

This is all still in the planning stage and so I would very much appreciate any feedback.

• Would paying your membership fee through Amazon Pay or directly by credit card be positive options?
  • Does us passing on the PayPal fee increase to only those who continue to pay by PayPal seem fair?
  • Would you welcome accepting buyer payments another way than through PayPal?
  • Are there any other payment options you would like to see?

Thank you!

3 Likes

I would definitely welcome paying membership fees and acceptance of payment for art via credit cards directly.

8 Likes

Paying membership with debit card rather than PayPal would be my preference.

5 Likes

I would prefer to pay with credit/debit card rather than accept rate increases through PayPal.

5 Likes

Thanks for the options and being proactive. I would be fine with paying by a regular credit card and I think customers will like the options as well.

4 Likes

I will be happy to pay the DPW fee through my creditcard/debit card. thanks for the notice.

2 Likes

I, too, am happy to have the choice to pay via credit card directly.

2 Likes

Credit card works for me.

2 Likes

I would absolutely prefer using my debit card.

2 Likes

Having a new credit card processor is welcomed. Not sure how open buyers would be to it considering potential refunds/disputes and possibly extra programming for you, but also having a Zelle option for direct payments would be cheaper for a seller.

2 Likes

I’m good with paying by CC and love that my buyers would have another option (credit cards) besides PP.

2 Likes

I would be glad to be able to use my credit card to pay DPW fees:) I also like giving clients another option to pay by cc. Thank you for being proactive !

3 Likes

Credit card to pay DPW fees is great. I like giving people options to pay by PP / CC.
When i did the math on my typical painting - lower % but higher “fee” didn’t make much difference at my price point. Seriously, thank you for getting ahead of this! i tell all perspective artists thinking about DPW that you are always on the watch and making things better, easier and up-to-date!!!

5 Likes

I’d be open to credit card or Amazon pay. Don’t mind passing on PayPal at all! .
CIndy Fankauser

1 Like

Credit card works fine for me, when both purchasing and selling.

1 Like

I have already answered the other questions but somehow missed the second question. Here is my response to that: As far as fairness is concerned, I totally trust Bold Brush to be fair in all matters, and to all members.

1 Like

Credit card directly would be my choice.

1 Like

I would like to pay my membership fee through Amazon Pay OR direct credit card payment.
Dona Price

1 Like

Using a credit card or debit card to pay the monthly statement.
Square is something else I have in place.
Thx
Laura

1 Like

Credit card fine with me.

1 Like