How to properly store acrylic paintings

I stored some acrylic paintings face to face. They stuck together and when I pulled them apart paint peeled off. How does one store paintings so that wont happen in the future? Thanks

Maybe try laying some greaseproof paper, or glassine paper (like as used for covering pastel paintings), over the painted surfaces, before storing. Both these papers are smooth and not fluffy. Paper would be easier to remove from the surface, even if it did stick. Probably not ideal to store them face-to-face. I once had two small paintings on canvas board stick together (though these were oils, not acrylic); the backing-paper from one board got stuck on the painted surface of the other. I managed to soak off the paper with water.

1 Like

Thanks for answering
When you say greaseproof paper - do you mean something like wax paper or parchment? I never heard of glassine - but I’ll look into it

Greaseproof paper is what we use in the UK for lining cake-tins and similar, to prevent the food from sticking to the tin…if you’re USA you might have another name for it. I would think any sort of similar smooth paper would be ok.
Glassine paper should be available via art stores, pastel painters often use it for separating their pastels and providing protection because it is non-static forming, but that’s a property of the paper that isn’t relevant to acrylics, of course.

in the US it’s called Baking Parchment paper and comes in a roll in the grocery store, next to aluminum foil, etc. Great for wrapping acrylic or oil paintings for storage AND for mailing.

1 Like

I haven’t had that problem. I store mine in clear envelopes and have taken them to shows that same way so that folks could look through them. (Most of those are simply on 140 lb watercolor paper). If you paint with thicker acrylic that may be the problem. I think I would just use ordinary wax paper between them.

1 Like

I know nothing about acrylic painting as I do watercolor exclusively… but I wonder if old fashioned wax paper between the paintings would work. Just a thought. I am always thinking about biodegradable products especially when they are readily available.

Thank you for your ideas. I am opting to go with parchment (Greaseproof paper), I am worried about the wax coming off the wax paper. Parchment paper sounds like a great idea and I don’t have to go to an art store to get it.- always a dangerous idea.
I don’t think it had anything to do with thick acrylic but the fact that we had no air conditioning this summer and our house was extremely humid.
Thanks again for the ideas

I’ve been using ordinary wax paper for years for both acrylic and oil painting. So far, no problemo.

I’ve used wax paper between my acrylic pours and the wax stuck on the face of the paintings. Not all thankfully but some. I’m going to be switching to parchment paper from now on.

Do you just rest the parchment paper between each canvas or tape it down? And what do you do for large canvases? My experience is that tape doesnt stick to the parchment paper. And do you stand upright or lay flat? I have them standing upright as i dont have room to lay flat.

Ok… this is the thread that won’t go away. The original question was posed almost 8 years ago, and the responses were wonderful. Consequently, I am using parchment paper to separate my acrylic paintings when storing them (very inexpensive in bulk from Sam’s club and Costco). The only problem I have is that the parchment slips around very easily and when adding a new piece to inventory, I have to be very careful not to let it slip down between and leave the paintings resting against each other.

So, the question is… Has anyone found a tape that will adhere to parchment paper? I have searched the web and have not found an answer. I found this thread Tape That Sticks to Parchment Paper? - Kitchen Consumer - eGullet Forums from a confectioner asking the same question for a different application. The answer they came up with was a couple of medical type tapes, but since it appeared from our thread that there are some artists also using parchment to separate their paintings that they may have another solution.

Thanks all,
Jack

One must combine paints with specialized mediums to make acrylics truly transparent. Even novice painters can achieve stunningly clear effects in what would otherwise be difficult-to-achieve transparency with a few simple steps. If you cannot complete the desired opaque color, you can apply other strategies for a satisfactory outcome.There are limits to how opaque you can make acrylic by simple steps from loonycraft. This is why people who paint with acrylics will often paint in multiple layers. Another option is to use thick applications of paint.

You should put them facing away from each other to avoid them sticking together. And Finished acrylic paintings need to be packed and stored in ideal boxes, probably in a metal storage box available conveniently in any store nearby. Cause the metal is safe and will not ruin your paintings. It would be best to avoid using cardboard and wood boxes being less ideal, as they can be susceptible to mold, dampness, and bugs. And please do not store paintings in places with lots of sunlight or light in general; this may turn your acrylic painting yellow or remove its solid finish.

From what I understand wax paper is acidic so I would not use that. I’ve started using parchment paper because I’ve read many positive reviews and, so far, nothing negative about that. If anyone knows if there are problems with storing acrylics long term with parchment please let me know. I did want to comment on the wax paper.