Daily Paintworks (DPW) | About DPW

Favorite acrylic paint and why?

(Gina Garding) #1

Hello! What is your favorite acrylic paint, and why? My favorite is Lascaux. I can use it right out of the tube with no mediums, and it’s in general more opaque than other artist quality acrylics I’ve tried, which I prefer for my style of painting. It’s so expensive though, I’m interested in hearing others’ favorites to experiment with! I also really like Golden and use some to supplement colors not available in Lascaux (e.g. sap green, and I love Golden’s Pthalo blues!). Thanks for your input!

(Hilda Rogers) #2

I have not used Lascaux, Gina, so I don’t know what that is like as a comparison, but, I am pretty happy with Windsor and Newton Pro and Golden Heavy Body and I have lately been having a little dabble into Golden “open” Acrylics. Why? Well, I have been using Windsor and Newton Acrylics since I was 16!! I have to say, the quality of their Galeria series went seriously downhill when they started being made in China and were way better in the beginning when they were made in the UK. The W & N pro series are nice though, not so much colour shift and made in France. I started using the Golden Heavy Body partly because I wanted to experiment with Impasto and partly because I was doing an online class with Will Kemp (Will Kemp Artschool) and he uses a lot of Golden paints. I do use blending fluid (W & N) and sometimes retarder, but the Golden paints are dense enough to work well with impasto without any additional mediums and the Titanium White in both is pretty opaque. I also like that Golden paints demonstrate each colours’ opacity on the tube (and rate for other qualities such as matte/gloss, thin/thick and lightfastness) and list the exact pigments each is made from.

(Dell Eddins) #3

I use Golden Heavy Body and have tried several mediums with my favorite being Golden Matte Medium. It allows for blending and layering which I find result in a very rich surface and keeps an even reflective quality to my paintings. I use Gambling Gamvar to varnish for a gloss finish. If I want a matte finish I rub their cold wax Medium on top. And I blend the two into a slurry for a satin finish.

(Gina Garding) #4

Thanks for your input! I have just gotten totally sucked into Will Kemp’s youtube videos this last week, I’m going to have to look into his online class! I noticed he uses a lot of Golden paints.

(Hilda Rogers) #5

Will Kemp is awesome, isn’t he?! He responds to EVERY single comment on that website of his snd gives out really comprehensive technical advice. In the past I have purchased and completed both his Colour Mixing class and his Intermediate portraiture class (for acrylics, but to be honest it could also be done in oils just as easily, this is a guy who loves both mediums and has huge knowledge on both) He does use a lot of Golden heavy body acrylics, it was him that got me hooked into them! Enjoy, Gina!

(Roberta Schmidt) #6

I use Liquitex soft bodied acrylics mostly, because I like the way I can move the paint around for my portraits. I’ve used Golden, Maimeri, Utrecht, and Amsterdam acrylics. But Liquitex colors and viscosity work for me.

(Hilda Rogers) #7

Thanks Roberta, I have also used some Liquitex and would probably be using them more if I hadn’t become so fixed on Golden! One thing I will say is that I have had a tube of Liquitex “Pewter” that I swear is STILL viable after 20+ years!!! That’s insane!!:grin: