Using acrylics on gessoed watercolor paper

I’m practicing with acrylic on gessoed watercolor paper (140Lb.) I taped it down and stretched it, then I took it off the board I stretched it on when it was dry and put it on my easel and did my small painting. The end result was wavy and groovy (not the good kind) … should I have kept the paper on the board that it was stretched on? …and then do I wait for it to dry before removing it from the board?
Thanks!

Hi Patricia, you can try a method of dampening the back of the paper and weighing down until dry. I know it’s a common problem because it is the most popular blog post on my website, lol. I’ve described the method in detail and with a video here: https://rpetru.com/blogs/blog/flatten-paintings-on-paper
Good luck!

I use acrylics on 140 lb. watercolor paper. What I do is, when the paint on my palette starts getting stiff, instead of throwing it away I use it to coat watercolor paper, and I coat both sides. That way avoids wavy paper. I’m doing small sizes 5x7 and 6x6, 6x8, so that also helps. Then I might have to flatten it out under some heavy books. It’s my way of keeping paint out of the trash, also of recycling failed watercolors.