Daily Paintworks (DPW) | About DPW

Small linen panel rejecting oil paint

I have been painting a small still life on a Centurion linen panel…I was just finishing up and see that the surface is rejecting the paint in about 3 little spots. I have tried painting more heavily, using more medium, and neither has worked. Any suggestions? The really bad area is front and center (of course)…I’ve spent about 2 days on this.

1 Like

I too use Centurion panels. I discovered that there are two types: oil primed and all media primed (Acrylic gessoed). I use Cobra Watermixable oils and have had difficulty using the oil primed panels. I bought a bunch of the oil primed panels not knowing at the time that there were two types.

So what I have been doing on the oil primed panels is giving the surface a very thin coat of Cobra painting medium before I begin painting. This seems to solve the problem. It is very thin, I even wipe off most of it with a paper towel. You could also put a very thin coat of Liquin onto your oil primed panels if you are using regular oils. No need to let it dry, I just paint right into the painting medium or Liquin.

For the panels that I bought that were for all media, they work the best for my watermixable oils, but even those panels I usually give them an additional coat of acrylic gesso before I paint on them. I put a thin coat of painting medium on those as well if I remember to do so. I rarely have a problem on the acrylic panels with my Cobra paints. But don’t paint an acrylic gesso over oil primed panels!

If you are having a problem now that the painting is completed, you can can try scrubbing the surface to work the oil into the surface. I am not sure if that would work, but I think I have had to do that a few times. You may need to rework part of your painting, sadly.

I only purchase all media linen Centurion panels now and I like them very much, now that I have gotten used to them.
Hope this helps a little.

2 Likes

That was very helpful. Thank you for answering.

1 Like

Try coating it with Liquin, then painting over that…

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Sometimes the paint won;t adhere to the little indentations in canvas and liquin will fill it in…I start my paintings with acrylic then switch to oils,I always put a coat of liquin before I start on the oils…Please let us know if it works for you…no matter if I use oils or acrylics I always coat with liquin first…

1 Like

I’ve never used Liquin under acrylic, or for that matter between the acrylic and the oil. How does that work going on before the acrylic?