Reselling / Copying Art

DPW is like an art flea market. Re-sellers peruse the site looking for bargains. There are occasional sales to individuals who really like something for themselves, but most of the time it’s people looking to turn a profit from your low bid.

You really think most sales are to resellers? That’s interesting. I honestly had not thought that. But I am really just now starting to post consistently and treat it more like a business.

[quote=“desoto_studio, post:21, topic:345, full:true”]There are occasional sales to individuals who really like something for themselves, but most of the time it’s people looking to turn a profit from your low bid.
[/quote]
I have to disagree with that, at least in my case. I have communicated with a number of buyers and don’t believe any were re-sellers. I suspected it once and turned out to be wrong. But I have never sold anything for less than $50 (which still seems low), so maybe reselling happens more when paintings go for less.

I think it might be worth remembering that the daily painting movement began with artists blogging and auctioning very small “daily” paintings–i.e., works done quickly alongside their larger works. DPW was established according to that model, not as a venue for high-priced larger works. Only a few skilled and diligent daily painters sell this way regularly and for high enough prices to consider it a reliable source of income.

If resellers have discovered DPW as a source of inventory, artists have no one to blame but themselves. When I see a nice piece going for $15 or $20, I won’t say I haven’t considered buying and re-selling it myself! It also makes me think twice about turning more of my local clients on to DPW.

I think you’re right Connie. I have been starting my auctions at $25 (just for the 30 in 30 challenge). I’m going to move up to starting at $50 which is more worth my time and hope to eventually move up to the $100 range. I am actively taking steps to get out of my day job and become a full-time painter. As my skills progress, so shall my price.

1 Like

I thought that I may have had a reseller when I sold some pieces for $10. The reason is a buyer got upset when I did not include a packing list and said she would not buy from me again unless it was included. I would not be bothered by a reseller if they bought older work in quantities and all shipped at once. It’s a business after all. Now I start at $50, I may have a few at a lower price now and again if I have had them for a while.

LOL! A packing list? Are you supposed to be Amazon.com?

1 Like

what is a packing list?

A receipt, essentially.

1 Like

Thought I’d throw in my two cents-worth… Most of my small/medium-size watercolors are priced very low, as many of them are quick studies or experimental pieces that otherwise pile up on a shelf… When one customer purchases five or six of them, usually in a flurry of buying over a period of several weeks, I’m usually glad to see these little paintings move out of my studio (and watch the $ move into my Paypal account). Until now, I’ve never included a CoA… but I appreciate the message that this sends. I like the sample that you have provided, Gary Westlake – and your suggestion, Theresa Taylor Bayer, of adding the statement, “reproduction rights are not included with sale of artwork” to each painting description.

I have also found it a bit disquieting to realize that a repeat buyer is likely reselling my work. As several other posts have noted, it is a weird feeling but is also difficult to get to the bottom of WHY it feels uncomfortable to me, the artist!! In the end, it boils down to whether and how one approaches the decision to sell one’s work. If I want to generate income from my paintings, no matter how small or large they are, I need to be okay with receiving the money and then moving on…

Re the packing list, question: at the bottom of the Paypal page which details a customer’s purchase (e.g. the names/addresses of customer and seller, the price, the Paypal fee, etc. etc.) are small print links to printing a packing slip, printing a mailing label, etc. I use these all the time! Great way to be systematic about the business of selling/shipping paintings. The mailing label option is fantastically user-friendly and saves time AND money.

2 Likes

This is great, Gary!! Thanks for providing a sample of how you handle this. I am SO on it!!! :smile: