Repeated subject matter

I’m new to DPW- actually haven’t set up my account yet, but I was wondering: I see a lot of repeated subject by artists. For example, one artist may have 10 paintings of the same flower, or 5 in a row of an apple. Is that the way most artists on DPW find success? I am referring to artists with lots of red dots (beside Carol!). And I know many share the same age old question: still life or landscape! Curious about these two topics. Thanks for your advice!

2 Likes

I think you have to paint what inspires you. Those paintings will be your best. I love flowers so those end up as my best paintings.

1 Like

Welcome Lisa !
This topic does pop up now and then…I think there is an analytical tool on DPW somewhere that shows the breakdown on what has sold well according to category ( I haven’t tried it yet, or looked for it ) another member told be about it. As Libby said, and from what I’ve read from other successful artists, go where your passion is and you’ll feel much more comfortable with your approach rather than trying to " paint like what seems to be popular this month"…
I personally feel it’s important to develop your own style which can be applied to any subject matter and this can only come after many hours ,days, months of painting on a regular basis.
Some artists I believe really just enjoy painting the same type of subjects and get very unique results.
There is some discussion on this forum on “Sold” paintings…we will never know what is really going on I think as everyone has their own motives for marking things as “sold”…
The info. I got from another friend here on DPW is that “Abstracts” do not sell well on DPW…
I think “Landscapes” are the best selling with “Flowers” next…

There is also something to be said about painting in a series.

2 Likes

I like the comment of something to be said for painting in a series. If I were to buy small painting I’d probably look for a similar grouping. That said life moves so quickly I tend paint the inspiration in front of me. I am also new to DPW I promised I’d give it sometime. The learning curve seems to be a process learning a lot by jumping in with a well organized gallery & support system!

With painting in a series you can learn a lot. For example that flower you want to paint can be painted in many different ways and compositions. Try it small, bigger, different light etc. In your online gallery you can group things together, which to a viewer is less confusing than seeing 10 paintings of different things: a shoe, a flower, a boat, a person etc.
If you ever have a show somewhere it will look so much better if it is cohesive and has a theme. I once asked a library if I could do a show there sometime later that year. They ended have a spot available just a few weeks later, and thanks to having a series of paintings done I was able to do that show.

1 Like

When you paint in a series, you get very good at that subject, and you end up getting known for it. When you paint something you love, you’ll find that it’s very enjoyable to paint it over and over.