Recommended iOS photo editing software to edit reference photos

Which photo editing software for Max do you recommend when one wants to edit or alter reference photos before painting. All my web searches recommend apps for creating digital art. That’s not what I’m looking for.

Photoshop elements does everything I need.

1 Like

Hi Andrea, Would you mind sharing what you do with it, so I can get a better sense if would work for me? I want to choose areas then change the depth of field in the photo so the background becomes blurred / bohek. Thx.

It’s a powerful program so I recommend some tutorials, maybe on Adobe or YouTube, to learn how to use it. I adjust the brightness to be able to see the information in the shadows. Yes, you can select the background, or anything for that matter, and blur it. I will crop the photo to match the format of my canvas or panel. I may combine photos to create a better composition.

You could try Affinity Photo - available on the App Store, for both a Mac laptop or iMac, and I believe it just came out for the iPad.

This program is in direct competition with Adobe Photoshop, and very capable. It is also a pay-once piece of software/app, unlike the Adobe subscription model, which can get very expensive.

There will be a learning curve, but there are tutorials available, of course. My husband has been very pleased with it…

Good luck!

1 Like

I wholeheartedly recommend Affinity Photo. I used Adobe Photoshop for decades but really don’t like their current pricing policy. Affinity have created an excellent alternative for an incredibly reasonable one-off fee and I actually prefer it. It’s less cumbersome than PS, very intuitive to use and does everything I want and more.

1 Like

I would check out Affinity Pro as suggested however Adobe Photoshop Elements is a stand-alone program reasonably priced, not a subscription. And it does almost everything the full program does, at least for what I need.

1 Like

If you’re looking for an iOS app, Snapseed is extremely well featured. You can correct skew, crop, levels, etc. And it’s free!

I take a screen shot of the photo and use the software that pops up with the photo. I seldom do thumbnails on paper any more. I just use a reference photo and edit it.