Pricing - Feedback Request

I just didn’t want my signature (LONG last name!) to interfere with the painting composition but now that I’ve seen yours… yours seems to add to it! I might work on some ideas for my signature and/or initials. Thanks for the question, Kent! :upside_down_face:

Hi, Cyndi. Welcome back to the creative world! Remember, you can always go up in pricing your work, but you can NEVER go down. Beautiful bird paintings.

1 Like

Thanks so much, George❣️ Do you think that I should lower my prices? Do you have a system for pricing that you recommend?

Actually, no, I don’t think you should lower your prices. You have a great product and you have excellent prices. I do my pricing by the following schedule: 1. LINEAR INCH Add length plus width, multiply that times a dollar price you feel your time is worth, add in a price for framing - if it is framed, and add in a price for studio expenses. total all up - that’s your price per painting.
2. METHOD 2. reasonable hourly amount times hours to make plus the cost of materials equal the cost of the artwork. Round up to the next full dollar amount.
3. {and this is my method} Multiply the length by the width to get total inches. Multiply that number by a set dollar amount indicating your hourly wage. Calculate the cost of canvas, framing, and double that amount. Add together = the total basic cost of your artwork.

Any one of these methods will work.

1 Like

Awesome advice- thank you, George❣️

Hi Cyndi. You’ve received good advice already. I definitely do not think you should lower your prices. They are very reasonable. I definitely would sign your painting on the front, though. When I began to sell my paintings, I did not sign a few and when they were sold, the purchasers both complained because they wanted my signature. It gives a professionalism to the work. You can make your name or symbol, whatever, very small so it does not interfere with the composition. I of course sign it on the back too. As to pricing, I do not believe in a square inch formula. What price is it that would not make you upset if it leaves your home is one way to look at it, taking into consideration the hours you spent on it, your supplies, shipping, costs, and be consistent. Your own market of collectors will tell you when to raise your prices when they start selling very quickly and consistently. Then it’s time to raise your prices because there’s a market there for your art. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Laurelle,

Your work is exquisite❣️ I especially love your expressive and sensitive portraits.

Thanks for your kind feedback!

1 Like

I agree with signing your paintings on the front. Also, many artist will price each size the same. For example, all 9 x 12s are one price; all 30 x 30s are one price, etc., because the public doesn’t understand why you would price the same size paintings differently, though you may have spent more time on one 9 x 12 than another 9 x 12.

1 Like

Got it, makes sense. Thanks Beverly!

That a great question. I’ve been struggling with that question myself. I have heard it should be a price per sq in. give or take. I think your priced pretty well if not even a bit low. Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Laura!

Looking to formulas, I think not every square inch is the same. I feel like small work should have more expensive price for square inch rather then large work. The same with price of the house, bigger house has less expensive price for each square feet.

Also, formulas are helpful, but you sell to people, to your audience. So you have to take it in account. I see a lot when people sell a few things and when they feel they can triple prices. Well, it’s business and if you have higher prices, you have less potential buyers to afford your art. So watch for your current audience. Sure you can gradually raise your prices while growing as an artist and attracting different collectors but it doesn’t happen overnight. And if you see no sales, yes, I think you can lower price a bit.

Overall , I would not take how you price your art as a reflection of what kind of artist/person you are and your worthiness. It’s just point where you and your buyer meet at the current moment.

Just my thoughts to share, nothing really personal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Julia,

What insightful, thoughtful feedback. Thanks so much for your thoughts❣️

1 Like

Awhile back I adopted the linear inch method George describes, because it lessens the price jump between sizes.

I think a lot of shoppers on DPW are looking for bargains and that most people who command good prices here have cultivated their own markets, either for a long time and/or in other venues. Currently I don’t list prices and have not posted new work for some time, but still get occasional inquiries. I rarely hear back after quoting reasonable prices.

3 Likes

I hear you, Connie. Thanks for your feedback! Lovely gallery BTW❣️

1 Like

Hi Cyndi, first I want to say thank you for this question, I think many of us are uncertain about whether our pricing is where it should be! I know I struggle with this too. Your work is beautiful and well done ( it doesn’t hurt that I’m also a bird lover! :wink:)
Many of our fellow dpw artists have already given you excellent feedback. I’m new here and have to say, I am so impressed with the level of knowledge, and of caring and support, in this community! I would add that I think your pricing for the very small pieces (6x6 and near) is very reasonable, but then the 12x 12’s are in my humble opinion, priced much much too low.

When sales are slow ( or -sigh- nonexistent) for awhile, I think it is easy for us artists to wonder if (gulp) are our prices are too high? Or (double gulp!) is our work just not up to snuff? When the reality is probably neither of those things! After all there is a LOT of great art out there! So it’s a question of getting your art seen by lots of people with the interest and means to buy fine art, in order to connect with those who will love and buy your work! (I know, I know, easier said than done! I’m working on learning how to do that myself. :laughing:)

With regard to signing your art, I agree with those who said it adds value to your work, and that many buyers expect it. If it truly makes you uncomfortable though, continue signing on the back. You might consider experimenting with making your long signature subtle if you’re concerned about it interfering with the art — perhaps smallish lettering in a slightly lighter or darker value of the same color in the area you put it. Or perhaps simply your initials could be your “signature“, I do this myself on my very small (6x6”) paintings.

Good luck, and thanks for posting this question, I’ve learned some good stuff from others’ replies. :grin:

1 Like

Thank YOU, Michele for your considerate comments!

I was just called out on that recently, by someone who purchased a painting. They said they had noticed none of my paintings were signed! I sign them all, unfortunately usually after I take a photo. Geez, it would be a project to retake all of the work I have posted on DPW’s now, but I certainly learned a lesson!

My art instructor (and former gallery owner) says no no sign only the back…Didn’t know.

1 Like