Paypal vs cheque

I have a buyer interested in a painting. But says he does not use Paypal and wants to send payment by check. This is the first time I have run into this. His emails do not have the characteristics of a scammer, (seen plenty of those). Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions…

I have had both scams and checks sent to pay for art. When it was a real sale, the buyer talked about the art specifically. Bad grammar is usually the footprint of a scammer and they are vague about the art.

I think one more email should tell you which it is. Do you use a post office box?

1 Like

I had a recent buyer without Paypal and a check was her preferred choice. I was happy with that as we emailed a few times and I waited until the check cleared before shipping the paintings. As Sunny says, watch for ‘scam characteristics’.

2 Likes

Thanks Sunny and Anne, I am going to proceed with the sale, his emails have been pretty good and specific. I will post and let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

You can also ask for a cashier’s check or money order instead of a personal check.

You could also delay shipping until the check clears. With the customers understanding and permission, of course.

1 Like

Would they wire the money directly into your bank account? I have had good success with this process. Work can be sent following the transaction. Good luck.

I would not give my bank account number out. Although these days, everyone is giving it away! (data breaches)

open a square cash account…https://cash.me/. they can log in and send money as if they gave you a check or cash and for personal transactions, there are no fees.

I am not familiar with square cash, has anyone else used it? It would be nice to save on fees…

You should always wait for a check to clear, whether it is a cashier’s check, personal check, or money order. I repeat, never, ever, ship a painting before a check (of any kind) clears.

Also, never give out your bank account and bank’s routing number (so say no to money wires) and never accept a check for more than the amount of the purchase.

If you keep these common sense rules in mind, you will not be caught up in any scams!

5 Likes

Up date on the sale; I offered to take a check, with the understanding the painting would not be shipped until the check cleared. Well I have not heard back from the buyer. I don’t feel bad about this at all. Think it was better to be safe than sorry. Also some one suggested the idea of wiring money directly into a back account…that idea really would make me nervous.

1 Like

I think any genuine buyer would always respect the painter’s request to clear a check (cheque)…I know I would respect that. In fact…I would prefer it if I was buying something online. We usually have to pay up front to purchase goods online.

I totally agree with Carol Marine! I have allowed checks with no adverse experiences., but I’m careful.

1 Like