Mixed media and sales

I have been working more with mixed media lately, acrylics, ink, charcoal combinations. Most of the time about 80% of the mixed media work I do is acrylic. I have listed some as mixed media, and some as acrylic and noticed the “acrylic” gets more hits than the ones tagged “mixed media”. Curious if the tagging “mixed media” scares buyers off. Has any other mixed media artist noticed this?

Sometimes people add things to or play around with a photo and call it mixed media, so perhaps avoid that tag and simply state a combination of mostly acrylic with some ink and charcoal also used. Though with charcoal a potential buyer may regard it as impermanent. Experiment with your wording for the best results.

That’s a good question. I’m also a mixed media artist, and I have labeled my work “mixed media.” But after seeing your post, I tried labeling some of my pieces “acrylic” if they are mostly acrylic, then expanding in the description - for example, “acrylics with gel pen” etc.

So far, though, it doesn’t seem to make much difference in terms of views; in fact, the pieces labeled “mixed media” have gotten more views. But I’m fairly new here (no sales - yet!) and I don’t have many pieces in my gallery, so it’s not much of an experiment - yet :slight_smile:

In my experience, on ebay especially, I haven’t noticed this on DPW ever, there are people scamming. They’re doing low resolution (someone else’s) prints or photos, putting very little paint over the top and calling them mixed media originals. I do think that is the case with some folks being scared off. There are some that are beautiful but there are always duds…

And maybe people are not as educated in the forms of mixed media…it is such a large subject. I still use the term, it’s the most descriptive for me. That’s a good idea @jan_burch, I would do the same and expand the description.