Eyes getting weaker and glasses are useless

Don’t know if i’m looking for comfort in knowing I’m not the only one with this problem or if there’s an actual solution. So here is my problem: I’m getting old and I’m now at the point were I have trouble seeing the canvas. I bought some reading glasses only to realize it’s great when I look at what i’m painting but when I look down at my colour palette which is on the table next to me, it’s all blury because of the glasses.
I went to the eye doc and told her I need the opposite of the normal reading glasses… i need the reading part on top and no strength at the bottom. Turns out it’s not possible.
So do I need to get one of those magnifying arm that hooks on the canvas? Does anyone use them and is it easy to get used to? I looked at them and they are not cheep. So I was kind of hopping to get feedback.
Meenwhile my canvas size has increased… I rarely paint 6x6 anymore… 10x10 feels more comfortable.

2 Likes

I had the very same problem! I wear bifocals, (tried trifocals once for the monitor but they made me ‘seasick’), and I bought a standing magnifier with light that works well for smaller paintings but I now find that I am not backing up at all to view the painting and now I suffer from too-close-to-see-the-big-picture! Anyway, I used a half off coupon and picked it up at Michaels so it was the same price as the hook to your table magnifiers. http://www.michaels.com/floor-light-magnifier-by-artminds/10231120.html#q=magnifier&pmpt=qualifying&sz=24&start=31 , still pricey enough tho!

1 Like

It is difficult. I have two separate pairs of glasses; one for reading (e.g books, reasonably close up, within say half an arm’s length) and another pair for viewing a computer-screen, which tends to be further away, kind of at arms length plus.
When painting, I use my computer-glasses because the canvas/paper is similarly at arm’s length; but I peer over the top of the glasses if I’m working from an object/still life because my distance vision is ok and I don’t need specs for that.
It’s like you need a pair of glasses that focus at a greater distance than reading glasses. Extra expense of course, but I must admit I do make good use of both my pairs.

Thank you Sunny. I had actually forgot about looking at Michaels! I think that’s my best bet.

1 Like

Hi Christine! My eyes are still not bad enough that I can’t see the computer. So I think maybe my problem is that I work to close to the canvas… I don’t know, it’s weird. I can see the computer no problem so I guess when my eyes get’s worst I should go back to the doc and ask for computer glasses as you suggested! That makes sense.

1 Like

I went to Readers.com and bought glasses with lenses only half the size of normal glasses. After cataract surgery, I have perfect long range vision but no close up vision. With these glasses I can easily look over them when I don’t need the reader part. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

That is a good idea too!

Aging and failing eye sight are troubling realities. I have been successfully wearing progressive lenses for at least thirty years. They provide a more natural and seamless multi focus viewing for multiple distances. However, about ten years ago I was describing to my ophthalmologist the difficulty I had with quilting. The needles and stitches are so tiny its was getting difficult for me to see either of them. He did this simple exercise of having me focus on something while changing the amount and quality of the light shining on what I was focusing on. Changing the lighting made a significant difference and has changed my quality of life. Increasing light apparently makes up for the failing efficiency of our eye sight.

2 Likes

Maybe my eye glasses are too big Smaller ones would in fact help. Why had I not thought of that! I’m new to this whole glasses thing and I think I might still not accept it. But I still wish they could somehow be higher on my nose so that I could look under them instead of over them… I might have to invent a pair!

It’s so true. I do have more difficulty in the dark. I bought two huge lamps a d they help a lot. I started lighting them in the daytime.

Just go to readers.com. There’s a coupon code RR30 that will give you a pretty big discount. I love mine and am ready to order another pair for use at my computer. I use 2.50 for painting close up and 1.50 for computer. These “granny glasses” are great when I go food shopping. I can wear them and look over them to see where I’m going and look into them to check prices, etc. Well worth the price of under 10.00.

1 Like

Thanks! Will do that now.

Your eye doctor is mistaken. There are definitely occupation-specific ways to make “bifocals.” Here’s an article with more information. I hope you can get the glasses you need! http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/multifocal.htm

1 Like

Oh wow! I will take that article with me next time I go see my eye doctor! Thanks so much fo sharing!

@karenjk My doctor did offer me an alternative to those tri focals that I couldn’t live with, he suggested another pair of bifocals, (I have distance on top and readers on bottom), top for monitor and bottom readers. But I didn’t want to spring for another $300 pair. I guess I could get the cheapest frames for those tho…

You are not the only one, Jacinthe. I just had this conversation with my optometrist last week. My progressive lenses drive me crazy, and I take them off when I paint…actually, I take them off a lot, because I can’t really use them for reading on the ipad, or for typing on the computer. One (maybe) solution…I ordered a pair of computer prescription glasses, for artwork and computer work. We used a pair of my older frames, so the price was a little above $200. Still ridiculously high if you ask me. I will be getting them in a week or so, and will let you know if they work, or a waste of money. I am contemplating getting bifocals for driving and reading. Yes, this change in eyesight is discouraging! Hope we can find some solutions, so we can keep doing what we love, without frustration :slight_smile:

I was having a similar problem viewing my computer all day at work. So I had some bifocals made with the top part set for the distance to my computer screen and the bottom set for reading. I’m retired now so don’t need the computer glasses for work, but they work perfectly for painting at my easel. You might want to look into that option.

1 Like

Have faith, they can do amazing things. I’m 77 years old and this year had cataract surgery on both eyes. Before surgery I was seeing 20-70 (almost blind) and now I’m seeing 20-20 and don’t need glasses except for reading and painting up close.