Do you always add descriptions?

I enjoy reading others descriptions in their popup views in gallery and know the potential customer gets a better idea of the art and some familiarity with the artist, which helps with sales. I do it on my blog but DPW doesn’t pull that content when it pulls my post. So I guess I haven’t because I don’t take the time to rewrite or even copy/paste it after it’s posted (usually later, as I’m in Eastern time zone). Has it been worthwhile? Is there some way I don’t know of to get the written post in Blogspot to be pulled along with the image and labels?

I don’t add any description beyond size and medium, because when I buy a piece it has everything to do with what I see and nothing to do with who made it, why they made it, how they made it etc. I do enjoy reading that kind of thing, but it’s never made a difference when it comes to what I buy, so I’ve been operating under the assumption it doesn’t matter much for others when buying from me. With that said, I could be completely wrong about that :slight_smile:

I think descriptions are a must for selling. I have heard from other artists that sometimes it was the story that finished a sale when someone was on the fence. From my own experience I know a good description has led to at least one painting being sold. The email I got from the buyer said that they saw it on FB and thought it was nice but really had to have it after they clicked on the link and read the description.

1 Like

I agree that most people read and enjoy a pithy, pertinent description (though I sometimes have a hard time coming up with any), but in both descriptions and bio’s, lengthy blathering usually overestimates my interest and sometimes annoys me.

I used the blog pull initially, but have switched to uploading and writing my description on DPW first, then posting it to my blog immediately after. (That way, I can copy and paste the auction button, if needed, at the same time.) Sometimes I use the same description in the blog, sometimes I change and/or add to it slightly. Only a small percentage of my “lookers” bother clicking on the blog anymore, so if a description is important, I think it’s more likely to be read as part of the DPW gallery post.

1 Like

Yes, I too think the work should speak for itself and know when I see a work that I ‘must possess’. I wonder if that’s just the way it is with us artists and if the general public is less confident in their taste. Perhaps they could be persuaded or seduced by the story. :wink:

I think I’ll try posting directly to DPW with description and see how that goes. I don’t get much traffic to the blog either. And it will help me with the timing lag of posting to the blog and if anyone does see it they won’t be able to follow link to purchase until it’s posted hours later on DPW.

Lol, I’m also going to use that in conversation, Connie. “Stop. You’ve overestimated my interest”.

1 Like

@marypargas Hmmm, maybe that’s it. Which means I’m going to have to start making stuff up :smirk: But don’t tell anyone.

Mary, just to make sure you notice–even when you upload directly, there is a lag, because the default setting is for paintings to post next day. You can change it, but I think I think the next day posting ensures that all new work is included in the daily email, whatever time that goes out. Auctions begin immediately.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll take that into account. I do see now that I can write descriptions after the pull.