Coping with too much green

Hi there, I have a few landscape images that I would like to paint, but the problem for me is that they are predominantly green. I have tried painting one of these images in the past, but it looks a bit monotonous.
How do you cope with this dilemma without going too mad with colour?

Ha Ha… I live in Michigan and when we finally get weather where we can paint outside everything is green for most of the summer. I find it helpful to make a color chart mixing all my yellows with all my blues (and black if you have it–yellow and black make a nice green). Then add to those a little orange to warm it up; add a little purple for the shadows. Now you have a more colorful painting.

5 Likes

Great advice Andrea!

1 Like

Yes, that is good advice, Andrea! Another trick is to tone the canvas with some sort of red. The resulting painting is enlivened by the bits of ground color showing through.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input.

I should have known these suggestions already as I’ve come across them before…they just haven’t stuck in my mind. So there’s no excuse to stop me painting my green scene now.

I came across this Flickr link that I believe illustrates the good advice from the ladies above. The artist is called Monique Shaw.

Thanks again everyone.

Karen Margulis just made a post about the subject:

I’m on phone today so can’t see how to make this a link.