Attempted Scam emails

Hi there
I’m writing here because I want everyone on dailypaintworks to be aware of a possible scam.

Today I received a number of emails from someone who calls themself Anthony Blake and the emails were from anthonyblake033@gmail.com. This person was keen to buy 4 of my more expensive works but failed to tell me why he wants them, where they were to be shipped to or anything else. He would only pay by check. When I asked which country the payment would be from so that I could ask my bank how long it would take to clear, as I am in Ireland he said he would arrange for a business associate to issue the cheque. At this point I felt sure it was a con.
Has this happened to anyone else? I hope no one was sucked into it.
Bests, Inga

1 Like

Hi Inga, I also received an email from Antony Blake anthonyblake033@gmail.com on Thursday, and immediately smelt a rat as the grammar was poor in the email and it said ‘undisclosed recipients’. Still I played along for one email but as soon as I googled his name and fraud your post came up. It’s a con, though I’m still curious as to how he’d make his money.
Thank you for posting. Watch out.
Best regards,
Avril

1 Like

Hi Avril, yes I also haven’t quite figured out how he would make his money.

1 Like

The way he makes his money is he sends a check for over the amount decided on and then asks you to refund him the difference.

2 Likes

Correct, its a very old scam.

This happens all the time on Instagram. It’s always best to only take a secure method of payment. You were wise to not send anything until the payment is cleared. I also heard that if you receive a check always call the bank and find out when it is past the time that they can recall the check before sending the artwork. I understand there’s some scam where they give you a check and pick up the art, then they cancel the check-or it may even be a stolen check. There are so many ways they can do that. I usually look at what they are buying-if it’s several paintings that are all the most expensive and there is not a secure payment method, I won’t sell it. Usually anyone legit has some form of payment that secures both of you. Oh, and I never worry that I missed a sale when I say no to someone that looks like a scam. I remind myself it wasn’t a sale-it was a scam. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning.

2 Likes

Appreciate you posting!

I have some insight into this scam, as a member of my painting group was almost taken in by it. In her case, the supposed buyer said they were moving, and they were switching over their bank accounts, therefore her husband would be sending a corporate check for the paintings. But the check turned out to be for $5,000, not $500. It was agreed that once the check cleared, my friend would send the “buyer” the difference. Fortunately, one of our members who was an officer of a bank revealed that a corporate check could still be withdrawn even after it had seemingly cleared. So my friend just tore up the check and never heard from the “buyer” again.

1 Like