Advertising / Selling with Local & Online tools

Has anyone considered using the local app Nextdoor (https://nextdoor.com/), Patch local news (https://patch.com/) or the like to advertise/sell? Pros / Cons? Seems like a captive audience. Also wondering if you’ve tried a homeowners association webpage or fb closed group? Being able to point them to DPW, but have a “local” presence might be a selling point. Thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas.

I do the publicity for our community of artists in building of 22 art studios. I do list our exhibits and open studios as an event, but have not had a huge response in the last year that I have been posting. They do not have a category of event that really fits ours, so I just use general, but did just see a local gallery listing their exhibit opening under open houses.

I have not tried listing my offerings on DPW directly, but maybe now is the time, what with gifting times coming up.Thanks for the idea!

thanks for the info!

NextDoor: “With two exceptions, it is against our Community Guidelines to advertise or market your business on Nextdoor. We don’t offer the ability for businesses to.advertise or publish content.
Exception 1: National and regional brands. We are currently running a limited set of Sponsored Posts for national and regional brands. If you are interested in participating please submit an advertising inquiry,”

Personally I loathe that platform for the bigotry and pettiness it enables, at least in our area. Anyone who attempts to promote their own business inevitably is reported, and i certainly would never pay for the privilege. I would be very surprised if many of the participants have any interest in art, much less in buying it.

Personally, I think I would be turned off if someone did that with nextdoor.

BUT the homeowners assoc or community center is perfect! My sister does paint classes thru a few of them. Cold calling really worked in her case. There are though lots of developments and new developments around us. MANY in fact.

W[quote=“Sunny_Avocado, post:5, topic:3523, full:true”]
Personally, I think I would be turned off if someone did that with nextdoor.

BUT the homeowners assoc or community center is perfect! My sister does paint classes thru a few of them. Cold calling really worked in her case. There are though lots of developments and new developments around us. MANY in fact.
[/quote]

We have 3 floors of exhibition spaces in our building and curate and hang local artists work for a free, one night artwalk on third Thursdays, 6-9 pm… The intent is to provide a family friendly occasion to get out and see some artwork, meet artists and experience culture. Sometimes we have live music and we have had some special exhibits where the artwork was 100% donated and all proceeds went to an important charity. One raised over $6000. We have 2-4 people responding as coming on Nextdoor, usually. But we also list on the community calender of a local paper, Craigs list and another art venue as well as on Facebook, etc.

Had no idea it was against Nextdoor policy, but realize that’s what triggered my question - seemed like a great place to “advertise” especially for the coming holidays and surprised no one was doing it. Special thanks for having my back!

Sunny - thanks for encouraging the homeowners idea! We have an annual art show in September - so maybe a reminder near the holidays will trigger a few local sales. fingers crossed!

Johnna, similary with facebook… I am part of a local residents facebook group that essentially performs the same function as nextdoor.
In my facebook group, they do not like you discussing politics or specifically advertising your own business (otherwise it would just be full of ads) though they are very open to local business recommendations if that makes sense.
ie “can someone recommend a good contractor…”
They also don’t mind you mentioning if you are having a show / open house - that sort of thing.

One of the members opened an art sales and art sharing facebook group for our area and they were happy to allow direction to that.

Maybe set up your own art sharing facebook group?

1 Like

thanks Jacqueline - appreciate the insights. I’m planning to launch an artist group for our neighborhood home owner club to share ideas and events in our broader area. Maybe they’ll have some ideas on other venues for selling or interest in an open house. great idea!