Scams - has anyone received suspicious emails?

Was trying not to scare you, but I would just make sure the money clears for a couple days first.

1 Like

@woodworks 11 all in one go?! You are obviously doing something right! Congrats!!

I will take your advice tlā€¦thankyou.

Thank you Sunny, I was completely bowled over. I have sold her 10 and am sending the 11th as a gift for placing such a large order. It almost seems too good to be trueā€¦I just hope that it is all genuine.

Me too, please keep us informed as to how it all goes?

1 Like

I will Sunny. Parcel shipped todayā€¦keep fingers crossed!

so all went well ???

Hello Sunny, Parcel is now delivered and signed for. I waited a few days and then sent an emailā€¦yes, she says they are lovely and also liked my painting of that day. I hope the money stays in my account now.

1 Like

FYI, I just read something about Wallpart.com. They are a phishing site based in Russia. They try to get your info when you try to file a complaint on their site. Hereā€™s the link to the article, http://www.artistsinfo.co.uk/warning-to-all-artists-beware-of-the-latest-scammer/.

1 Like

Congratulations Anne!

Thank you Kaethe, I also read your link about the Russian lot. It makes me wonder about these people in a miserable world of fraud. I am so happy to be a painter. If they want to steal my work for their own ends it wonā€™t make a jot of difference to how I feel about my wonderful life creating something from inside a tube of oil. Happy weekend to all painters in DPW. xx

1 Like

I have also received emails on a pretty regular basis say every few months from different names, always very bad grammar and punctuation and they always seem interested in one painting on my website, usually the most expensive one. They say they want to know the price which is always posted with the piece, do I take credit cards, and would I ship overseas. Since every bit of this info is always included either with the piece or on my site I just delete it. The very first time I got one of these I had no idea it was a scam. My husband did though so I wasnā€™t taken. We did however try going along with this scam for a bit to see if we could get any more info on the scammer to give authorities. The person wanted to send a check ā€œoverā€ the amount of sale and I was supposed to use what I needed to ship it and send them a check back for the difference. So I let them send a check and it was a ā€œcorporateā€ looking thingā€¦totally generic. When I did nothing with itā€¦I heard from the scammer who threatened to ā€œturn me in if I did not go along with the plan.ā€ I did not want to get into a email war with a scammer so I reported his emails and check info and let it go. Since then I get these pretty regularlyā€¦they generally are always worded in the same way though the names may be different. Be smartā€¦if it looks too good to be trueā€¦it almost always is.

Hah! I received a similar request from someone in Singapore a few months ago. I spun my wheels a bit, checking into shipping costs (prohibitive). I then recalled that my Paypal links are all keyed to ā€œUSAā€ only. If a potential customer isnā€™t able/willing to read this shipping info, Iā€™m not going to spend my time on such stuff. Iā€™ve also had emails from people who donā€™t want to use Paypal and try to convince me to take a check or a credit card. I donā€™t deal with that, either. Iā€™d much rather spend my time making artā€¦

Terrific Anne! I am so happy for you!

1 Like

I have to askā€¦is the new name being used by the scammers Robbie Dave? I received an email much like what was mentioned above asking questions about a painting on my DPW gallery. They asked questions where the info. was already posted with the site. I responded nicely and mentioned that the painting could be purchased via the links on the site. They came back with they wanted to purchase several paintings for their daughter who had a galleryā€¦ hmmmmā€¦ Iā€™m wondering what Anneā€™s final outcome wasā€¦Iā€™m assuming her money stayed ā€œintactā€ and it was a successful transaction??

Hello Veronica. I am happy to tell you that my money did stay intact on this occasion. However, it did make me realise I could be ā€˜taken inā€™ by some scammer. Many good wishes for a happy painting year in 2016. Regards, Anne.

I just received an email from Robbie Dave. Sounds like a scammer to me. I did reply with the posted information about the painting and price with shipping fee. Told him I only use Pay Pal. He wrote back he wants the price of the painting no shipping because he has a courier service to pick up the painting. I replied I work with 3rd parties I ship direct to buyers.I donā€™t think Iā€™ll hear from him again.

I just received an inquiry this morning from the same individual you named, Robbie Dave. He says everything is a go with PayPal but would like to use a courier to pick the art up right after he pays. I too will be refusing this offer, and canā€™t help but wonder how he plans to arrange an instantaneous pickup when the only information on my location is Florida. I guess thatā€™s where the rest of the scam will come into play. So glad you posted about your experience! Thank you for sharing, saves me time and effort!

My response to the courier request: ā€œNo, Iā€™m sorry, my selling policy is not to involve any third party individuals or services. I will only handle a sale by directly shipping packages from myself (via FedEx) to my buyer. This way I can personally insure that my buyer receives the artwork.ā€

I just received an inquiry this morning from the same individual you named, Robbie Dave. He says everything is a go with PayPal but would like to use a courier to pick the art up right after he pays. I too will be refusing this offer, and canā€™t help but wonder how he plans to arrange an instantaneous pickup when the only information on my location is Florida. I guess thatā€™s where the rest of the scam will come into play. So glad you posted about your experience! Thank you for sharing, saves me time and effort!

My response to the courier request: ā€œNo, Iā€™m sorry, my selling policy is not to involve any third party individuals or services. I will only handle a sale by directly shipping packages from myself (via FedEx) to my buyer. This way I can personally insure that my buyer receives the artwork.ā€

Wish I had re-read this before even responding. This morning. But if he writes back, my poison pen is now poised to craft a more appropriate response letting him know he is becoming well known.