Market Slow Down?

My painting sales are about the same, or slightly better. I don’t have anything on eBay (haven’t in several years) and I’ve given up on Etsy. I’ve got DPW, also local collectors. I started doing local shows again, and that helped a lot ( West Austin Studio Tour).

I never heard of it before, it’s cool!

Hi, you are not alone. I have also been on this site for 3 years or so. Sold a few every month…enough to justify paying the fee every month. But the last 6 months or so …nothing. I think I might have sold one during the 30 in 30 this year…but usually I sold 1 out of every three I posted. I have raised my prices a little bit…but they are still mostly under $50. I don’t want to quit DPW but…I may be forced to if I can’t at least make back the 12.95 a month☹️️

3 Likes

I know just how you feel. My heart is broken. I love this site but can’t pay the fee forever without any sales at all. I can only wonder about what happened and its odd that I still get so many views but no sales. I’m hoping that by posting some of my Ebay listings here I might bring over a buyer or two. Its just very very sad :frowning:

2 Likes

This year has definitely been slower, not sure why but my sales started slowing down this Summer, and been really slow the last 3 months. I am going to hang in there for a while and see what happens. January has been a good month for me for the last 3 years, seeing what happens in the New Year will be an indicator for what is to come. Keeping my fingers crossed things pick up.

1 Like

I’ve just added a new “What’s Selling” page where you can see and search through what has sold by month.

Also, if you click on the “Statistics” button, you can view a chart of work sold by month for the last 5, or so, years. You can also view pie charts of sales by genre and media by month.

13 Likes

Thank you David. The breakdown of the sales and stats information is very interesting.

Brilliant idea! This is a really useful addition, thanks David.

I sometimes scanned back through previous days and weeks to see what had sold.
I think sometimes people may not appreciate that auction items take a week to sell and some items a lot longer so unless you looked back a few weeks, you had no idea what had sold and what hadn’t. So this is great!

I really appreciate you taking the time to constantly think of new ideas and ways to improve the site.

1 Like

Thank you David…very useful and interesting to see.

1 Like

Well I guess the new whats selling pages disproves that the market has been slowing down.

1 Like

This is wonderful, David – all that has sold in any genre can be seen at a glance. This feels encouraging; it’s always good to know that people are buying art. You always come up with new ways to make this site more user friendly, and it is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Joe, not at all. According to the new statistics page (thanks a lot, David!) starting from June 2016, the absolute numbers of sold artwork was less than for the corresponding months of 2015 with the only exception of November.

Actually, it would be interesting to see the percentage of works sold (works sold per month)/(works uploaded that month). According to the new statistics graph, the situation when 300 painting are sold out of the 1000 uploaded can look better than when 90 painting are sold out of the 100 uploaded even though in the latter case, there is a higher chance of someone buying your painting.

1 Like

Great idea - much appreciated. My New Years resolution is to get back into painting and posting to DPW!

1 Like

I just found this tab the other day. Very helpful.

Long overdue, great job David,
Jim

I believe total sales for 2016 are higher than 2015.

1 Like

Even the absolute total number of sales for 2016 is a bit less than for 2015 (but we still have a few days of December ahead of us), but quite a few people in this thread mentioned that they experienced sudden drop in sales during the last few months, and statistics definitely confirms this trend. Hopefully things will improve in 2017!

3 Likes

Thank you David, great to have this information! I wonder how many of those 2016 sales were for $5 or less. I’m not asking for the sold price to be displayed though - I’d rather my sold prices were not displayed as some of my earlier work was sold for less than my newer work. Still, it would be interesting on an overall, how many “sold” pieces were in different price ranges - For example, 50 @ $1-$10, 50 @ $11 - $25, 100 @ $26 - $50, etc. Of course, size of piece does affect pricing as well, and I’d be interested in the average sizes that sold as well – 50 @ 6x6, 25 @ 8x8, 19 @ 8x10, etc. (Sorry, I do a lot of data analysis in my day job at the end of the year, guess it affects the way I’m thinking right now. :slight_smile: ) Again, thank you David for continuing to add features for us, much appreciated!

1 Like

The sales list is an excellent idea and great for rassling through to see what caught people’s attention. I found the stats for genre slightly surprising…I expected landscape to be a large slice of the pie, but didn’t expect to see still life subjects so prominent…must be Carol’s balancing mugs that does it!

1 Like

I wonder How long I should hold on with higher prices. I have sold one, but that’s it and going on 3 months. I’d hate to have to go back to being a 10 dollar artist. :sob: