Do you prefer painting on stretched canvas or panels?

Until this past year I always painted on stretched canvas. I was classically trained in traditional oil painting and stretching, sizing with rabbit glue and gessoing were all part of the old school deal. Then I tried panels, a few different kinds, this year. Gessoboard is too slippery for me as are some finer linen ones. Then I heard about oil priming homemade masonite panels and adding marble dust to the primer. I also tint the primer with raw umber to knock down the white so now I don’t do much of an under painting either, more alla prima. The marble dust is fantastic! It gives enough tooth to grab the paint but not so much that you can’t move it around. The best of both worlds Try it, you’ll like it!

1 Like

I prefer painting on canvas. I discovered that unlike watercolor paper that needs extra protection due to its delicate nature, a watercolor canvas lets me hang my painting without any frame or without the need to set it up beneath a glass. Since I am into various artworks, I find watercolor canvas a must-have for me.

Does watercolor work well on canvas?

No, not really as canvas will not be a good substrate for adhesion or absorption

You can buy a special watercolor primer that you can paint onto canvas or panels. Daniel Smith make a version and I think maybe Golden as well.
I’m not a fan of it though. It’s very absorbent and not really similar to painting on watercolor paper.

I know this is a very old post but do you varnish your large paintings before you roll and ship them?