Why are people selling their art so cheaply?

Karen, I completely agree.
I have only had good experience with Daily Paintworks. Again my buyers have all been lovely. I think buyers from Daily Paintworks know what the expectations are - probably most of them are aspiring artists themselves - and if it is only other artists buying the work, that’s fine by me.

I think people have to decide for themselves what their expectations are.
Personally I have seen Daily Paintworks as a spring board to get me started. It’s a great way to see for yourself what people are interested in buying. If people are not interested in a painting for one reason or another, that’s a leaning curve in itself.
I’m always interested to see what gets the most views and what doesn’t. Sometimes it can be a big surprise to see what people like to look at.

Speaking for myself, my expectations are:
I wouldn’t expect to sell anything I wouldn’t be prepared to hang on my own wall at home.
I wouldn’t sell a painting for anything less than I’d be happy to accept. I’d frankly far rather give a painting away as a gift than sell it for less than I feel it’s worth. Giving painting as gifts is a great way to get rid of inventory, it’s personal and it saves you having to buy something! Plus you have learned something in the process.
I use Daily Paintworks as a learning experience and a way to grow.
If something isn’t working, I try something different.
At the end of the day, Daily Paintworks is designed for selling small daily paintings and I try to keep that in mind.

Agree re eBay. Great thing about DPW is that it is not a site where the artist feels remote from those running it. Much more personal and that is special for artists.

2 Likes

Well said Karen,
You speak for all of us.

1 Like

Apparently not cheaply enough! I’ve had 4 people ask me if I would take LESS for my art. Two offered less than half my asking price! I’ve offered discounts to repeat buyers before but this is getting a bit much.

A few years ago when I was cleaning out my studio and sold about a dozen pieces on eBay for really low prices I found out someone was buying them up, marking them up, and reselling them in their own eBay store.

2 Likes

Wow, Andrea, I’ve heard of people reselling art, but it must have been hard to actually see it happening.

People ask for more than HALF OFF of your already low prices? (I looked at your gallery, your work is very good and I see your prices are very reasonable already!) Well, I guess they can ask… I’ve given modest discounts to repeat buyers too; I think a lot of artists are open to doing that. But it’s crazy to expect to slash your already low prices that much lower. We are getting pulled in two directions: “Don’t price your work too low!” and “Your [super low] prices are still too high! I can get a print at Walmart for less than that!” Oy vey!

1 Like

Andrea, how did you discover that? I had a customer who purchased a suspiciously large amount of paintings from me for pennies on the dollar when I was just starting out. I always suspected there was some resale happening but I decided that was her business. However, I always wondered and never found out. She had no on line presence (red flag) with the name she gave me.

Right when I sold them I searched on eBay for the buyer’s eBay name and I searched for my last name. It’s been a few years but I think they actually used my name in their listing. At least they weren’t painting out my name and selling it as their own as I’ve seen others complain of.

Karen, I so enjoyed your contribution in March. It almost echoes my own experience. I am a novelist, independently published, and have little or no followups for even my low-priced eBooks (paperbacks are almost a waste of time).
Art and writing were never going to be an easy way to make a living, and I never expected it. We do it because it’s necessary to our peace of mind. When we don’t follow our creative drives, we are miserable. So money is lovely, but simply to have one’s work appreciated, actually looked at and commented on – that would be nice. Sometimes I think my paintings and novels are not really out there, and I have to check that my web/blog/DPW site, etc. are working. But, when a sale happens (as it has from time to time) I am humbled and grateful. It’s always worthy of celebration.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right on! I think selling art at rock bottom prices that you have worked very hard on developing your skills over many years is kind of an insult and makes the public perceive art as not having much value. For me, I would rather keep it in storage until the right patron comes along. I have found that selling art takes time and I have to work on the business of selling my art. I enter shows, use Instagram, Facebook, send emails, and sell on Etsy. I have been pretty successful with Etsy, selling prints of my sold paintings and originals as well.
I recommend listening to a webinar on pricing your art by Robert and Kate Burridge. You will find the free webinar on www.Westcenter.org. Look at Webinars > Library. You will find it among the other free webinars listed.
I have attached one of the pages from his discussion. I hope it comes out. These are just my thoughts.

1 Like

Hi everybody, this topic has been on my mind lately too! I’m fairly new to DPW ( joined a couple months ago) and I really like this Art Talk Forum… though I admit when I first started reading this thread, I misunderstood the date and thought it had started April 16 of this year, rather than in 2016 :crazy_face:

Still very relevant! Talking with artist friends and reading art publications and blogs, it is quite apparent that MANY if not most of us struggle with pricing! It seems to go with the territory of being an artist. That said, I too am pained by seeing artwork priced ridiculously low. (Let me be clear here that I am talking about the regularly stated “buy it now “ price, not auctions). It bothers me because I think it gives the art-viewing public a negatively-skewed impression of the cost, and the worth, of original artwork. For example, by ridiculously low I mean things I’ve seen such as an 8x10” watercolor priced at $20. It makes me think that maybe the artist is a student trying to make a buck off of their practice painting exercises? Or maybe is an artist very new to selling their work and they haven’t taken into consideration all of the true costs of making and selling their art (not just supplies which do cost money, but training/education, exhibition entry fees, packing & shipping, website/membership fees, etc, not to mention the artist’s TIME). When such costs are really understood, the artists will realize that they need to account for that in their pricing, or their efforts as an artist will simply not be sustainable, whether they want to be a full time professional artist, part time professional artist, or maintain art as a hobby (supplies still cost money!). Fortunately there are some very good resources to help artists with this, like the above-mentioned article by Bob & Kate Burridge. (BTW, his weekly “Bob Blasts” are a hoot ! and informative.) The websites of ArtsyShark, and The Abundant Artist, are two more that have great articles on pricing your art.

I do very much appreciate DPW as a site where any member artist, at whatever level they are in their journey as an artist, can try to sell their work. It is an egalitarian “open space,” which is a wonderful opportunity! Thanks to all! :wink:

There isn’t any evidence to show that buyers perceive art as being less valuable because it is cheap. This is something i read a lot but it’s simply not true. In my experience, if the art is high quality and cheap it will sell for what the current set of eyeballs want, or can afford, to pay. It’s a great test(and required imho) of your talent to start selling ultra cheap but i know most artists are not willing to put themselves out there like that because they fear failure. Are you getting regular and timely sales at that price range? Another good litmus test is: are people asking you if your art is for sale when you post in social media or if they see it on your walls or wherever? If people aren’t asking and you have good exposure, then the art is not high quality. I’ve yet to see an artist who creates consistent high quality art with good exposure who doesn’t get this question.

Like the DPW article says, selling low to get a following then slowly raising prices works if you approach it correctly.
Many artists feel they should price their art based on all sorts of criteria, eg, time, materials, size, etc. But art is something that only has dollar value based on what others give it. If there is a demand and you have little supply, then prices will naturally increase. The demand is 99% based on the quality and how it makes the viewer respond. This is why it’s a mistake to set prices based on any criteria beyond what people are willing to pay. It’s a real humbling experience to know you might not be so great after all and you’re a nobody.

Thinking their art deserves x amount is the single biggest mistake artists make when they decide they want to monetize their art. Looking at others for pricing is silly because it doesn’t factor in anything.
Also, almost no artists approach the business side in any systematic way: they just throw the art up on websites and a few group shows and then expect money to follow. It’s like the south park episode with everyone’s missing left socks. The kids find that elves collect them. When asked why they say they have this plan:
1: collect left socks
2: ?
3: get rich

To be honest, 99.9% of art is terrible and this is the main reason artist’s can’t sell it or even begin on a successful career. The problem is they don’t know it’s terrible, then they are told all sorts of dumb things to make them think the problem is marketing or right venue, or branding, but in truth they don’t make anything that appeals to buyers. They don’t have the ability or inclination to put their best piece next to a known great artist’s piece and see where their art falls short.

No artist wants to hear these things and they believe that they are creating magic just by putting brush to canvas and divine providence will make their art good. They can’t comprehend how much hard work and serious study is involved in making something that even remotely approaches something that the public gets excited to look at. I see so little art that is exciting, rather I see artistic laziness, “hey i’m an artist so i deserve money for this”. It’s just hope that they get likes and acceptance. I’ve never seen money in average art and this hobby approach that so many ppl take, have you? And when reality rears it’s ugly head, most of the time I see a lot of complaining and finger pointing in all the wrong directions.

It’s a tough pill to swallow, but the low barrier to entry just adds to the artist’s problems of sales. If every artist understood how much work was involved in making good art they would almost all probably hang up their brushes and look elsewhere for $.

5 Likes

Simon (is it your name)? you said the very truth I was hesitant to say. I can’t agree more with your words. A lot of time I see the quality of the art what matters the most. You basically sell your skills that shows through your art. But 95% of the art for sale isn’t skilled art. How often I see people are so quick to sell their first studies and wonder if it doesn’t happen. Just like a doctor. You gotta study probably first 6 years with no money ahead (although you can work as a nurse part time) , but still, who wants to be those first clients? :slight_smile: It’s my 8th year of painting almost every day and only 2nd year I sell (still not that expensive like some people). But at the same time I’m so glad I didn’t sell my early art. Because it was terrible!! :))

1 Like

My response was a bit harsh, but I say these things from experience: I was just like the original poster and for many years I firmly believed in my skills, time and materials being worth x amount of dollars. I priced my art as such and as the work mounted and wasn’t being sold there was 4 issues emerging: little exposure to the right people, sub-par AND inconsistent art, prices too high, and little to no putting myself out there, ie, sticking my neck out and getting ppl to know me. I became bitter and blamed everything, everyone, calling out those ‘idiots ruining it with their cheap art!’. I made up reasons why others were selling and i wasn’t. “those silly buyers have no taste, that’s just decor art on artfinder”

So then 10 years of that, wandering around aimlessly without focus, full of self doubt, chucking art in the garbage because i dont trust if it’s good or bad, is it me or is it others not getting it? (was me). Changing styles, changing mediums, spiraling down, giving up for months at a time, quitting painting for a year, starting websites, social media accounts, then trashing them, restarting them, re-trashing them in a desperate vicious cycle, wondering if I am really cut out to be an artist??

1 pricey sale every 6 months was demoralizing, but even worse, a bunch of ‘PROPERLY’ priced art that never sold was like acid eating away my insides… and then looking at it and wondering ‘is it as good as i thought? i must suck!’ Or worse, i would go painting and start to hate doing it, feeling dread, feeling bored, feeling anxious or restless, wanting to run. I spent a number of years making large 1/2 done paintings which ended up in the dumpster, tossing thousands of dollars in paint and canvas.

I used to play mind games while painting to try to relieve the anxiety of failure, of knowing on some level things were going so wrong at all levels of my art career. I was doing things i wasn’t meant to, and i was self destructing in slow motion. This made the painting experience very negative. I had lost my way somehow.

As i spiraled downward I started to think ’ how far gone am I? What’s happened to me? When i first started painting in 2008 i was so full of happiness and excitement at the paint and just making a still life, showing it to wetcanvas or wherever and ppl liking it. I sold on DPW and was happy when someone bought it right away. I would get invited to an art show and make big paintings, not caring about the implications of the motifs or my ‘brand’ or ‘art story’ , selling them, and networking naturally. Now i just hate everything. My confidence is gone, i won’t make large paintings anymore, as a matter of fact they have consistently shrunk in proportion to my confidence(and money). Now they are 6x6, shall i go smaller? Oh, and why the heck am i making abstract art now?? Come to think of it, why am i wanting to build a printing press? Do i even like painting anymore?" I became convinced the answer was NO, so that began the nosedive, changing styles, mediums, trying this artist’s method, or that artist’s style, wondering the whole time what was happening to my mental stability, and why did i hate painting so much?? Why the hell couldn’t i sell anything and get the career rolling? I was submitting inconsistent pieces to unsuitable galleries all over Canada and getting no response, causing abandonment of my current art direction, which strengthened the downward spiral. Then i would rebuild up my courage, try something else, fail, blame the galleries, then abandon that direction too. Continue downward spiral.

I thought, perhaps i need to listen to more art marketing podcasts! So that’s what i did. But then the compare and despair set in: I found the successful ones (in my mind). How did these guys make those dollars? What’s their secret? Oh, and i’ll be sure to cut them down in my mind so i don’t feel so bad. Carol has the advantage of the DPW site , so that’s gotta be easy for her… let’s see, 1000 artists x $12/month…if only i started something like that. Do i know any programmers? Dammit! ok, What’s Roos doing? Oh, but i dont’ have money for those courses though. I’ll try the free stuff maybe. But I don’t want to build another website, in fact if i ever look at wordpress again my head will explode. hmm, What about Abbey? Why does she do those things over and over? Doesn’t she tire of that? And she has the advantage of oprah. Or Julian? lucky guy had real press…and that auction. Same thing with Duane, he started the whole bloody daily painting thing, that’s his advantage of course. Maybe i will obsess and see who i can cut down instead of painting. I’ll leave no artist unturned, that will justify my situation.

You think you have negativity? I was the king, nobody beat me. I was sure to have an artist friend who was also average and negative so i could gossip. I would love her rants. I also had an online artist DPW friend who couldn’t make it happen so i would enjoy her complaints too. DPW has gone downhill we were convinced! Time to abandon that too! That of course would do nothing to solve the real issues.

How much longer did this go on? 5 more years of hate and despair. To reset my head and get over all that negativity was really a miracle. The only thing that brought me back was my love of nature and the medium of paint itself being intriguing. I managed to keep that part unruined. I still have issues though, too much damage. It’s a slow recovery. Let me be your example of how not to do things.

I often fear that i can’t even give my art away, that my neighbors would say ‘no thanks’ (one of them has a big mouth and said one of my big landscapes didn’t look natural. I internalized that and it ate away at me for a long time and i grew resentful).

I have a huge amount of experience going down these roads the OP and commenters bring up. I used to think that one had to be a 100% full time painter and couldn’t divide their time. After 10 years of being poor and not being able to pay bills or buy canvas, i got a part time job and it changed a lot of how i view my relationship to art and money. Now i don’t worry about how i price because i can survive, and be happy basically giving it away for the next while, or forever if that’s all i amount to.

Sometimes it does bother me when i think, ‘i spent 4 sessions out in the rain in those damn woods with the bugs painting that canvas, i should sell it for more… hell, i deserve something for that’. But then i remember the kind of person i am , and that i need to get it away from me before i throw it out because I know that looking back at it after a month i’ll see it’s not so great, and it’ll be in danger of the dumpster, and then despair.

So here i am at the beginning again, but this time I’m just grateful that i enjoy painting with purpose, and so grateful that ANYONE likes my art at all, and is willing to pay even $1 for it, and I’ve sold plenty for $1. I spend $200 a month on art supplies and i sell about $20 a month worth of art via my DPW link to eBay, which takes 11% of my sales, so every sale is a huge loss. But i don’t mind because i need to know someone appreciates it and wants it, however cheap. I used to think i was immune to this ‘appreciation’ thing. But i’m not, i can’t really just paint and say ‘f-you world! i made it and so there!’

I also had to get over the idea that my art was precious to me, that i had ‘favorites’. This was so important. I used to think that i would be unhappy selling so cheap but I became ok with it. It was a matter of how i framed it.

I know that if my art is any good, it will catch on with enough exposure and ppl will ask for it. There are a few ppl on instagram i follow and they are very good. When they post they get questions like " is this for sale?" The answer is usually, ‘yes, but it’s sold already’. And these ppl don’t work on branding, they barely speak english, they have virtually no online presence. So this is the sort of signal that says ‘you can probably raise prices a bit’ :sunny:
This is my goal, and i know all this pricing talk is just really a reveal of the artist’s own issues with sales, and the best remedy is to let the market decide what the price should be.

The mistake people make is attaching their ego to the price. The two are separate. After years of this I have 3 ways of selling that work well. I have full priced art on my website. It can take someone multiple trips to your website to look at pieces before they buy so its good to leave pieces there you have confidence in. Secondly I do auctions here on DPW, the starting price is £50 and I’ve never not sold anything, yesterday’s went for £350.00 BUT I promote it on twitter to my audience, I never sell an auction on DPW through DPW, it’s always someone going from twitter via the link to bid. Lastly I do giveaways, its hard work but the only reason to do them is to increase my following on Twitter. Increased following means that when I put something up for sale or run an auction then there’s more chance of it going. I’m a sports artist so I have a specific following, I know exactly who my audience is and where they are.

Lastly and very important, have confidence in the piece you have produced because its the best you can do at this time. In the future there may be better pieces as you grow as an artist but as long as the current piece is the best you can produce then stand by it. Every now and then I go through my stock and auction off what I’ve gone off but I never put something up for sale that I don’t think AT THAT TIME is my best work. Good luck

The other day i was watching some plein air painters on youtube with large followings, ‘teaching’ and documenting how they make their stuff. I was amazed to see how little care they took in their approach, their craft, how they never considered their motifs seriously. But what was most concerning was how they just smashed their brushes everywhere. One guy said “yeah, it’s in the ugly stage now, but just trust the process” Of course it just got uglier as he progressed. I could write volumes about this one subject. Anyway, he never studied nature for longer than a few seconds, never scraped down mistakes,(probably never knew he was making any) , completely uncritical of the results at any stage, never used care with each brush stroke, never loved each bit. How can we expect others to love our art when there is no care and love on our part?
It’s like they just expect money to get thrown in their direction because they went to an art store and bought stuff.

Here’s a phrase i’ve yet to hear uttered from any struggling artist: “Perhaps my art is just not so good or consistent when compared to the best in my genre, and that might be why i’m not selling so well”.
I’ll be the first to say i’ve been in that boat, so im not getting on a soapbox or anything.

1 Like

Shawn, these people are not artists, they are youtube creators. You really need to stop comparing yourself to others. Focus on your own work and cut out the rubbish elsewhere.

1 Like

I won’t belabor an obvious irony here, but you are the OP of a topic primarily concerned about what other artists do. And yes, those youtubers are artists, at least they would consider themselves to be.

With respect, giving advice to artists not to compare themselves to other artists is a bit naïve…and bad advice. In fact, it is imperative that we compare often, but not in a negative self flagellating way, but rather in a way that keeps one honest, humble, and improving. We can ask things like " am i doing these very things i chastise others for?" or “this particular artist is fantastic at brushwork, i must figure out how to add that to my own practice” , or " i love how that artist promotes themselves, i want to learn that because it will help me sell", or even “I don’t like that this artist is teaching when they are just starting out, i want to be sure I don’t put myself in a position like them where i depend on teaching income at the expense of selling art”

We are just like everyone else, and it is impossible to isolate yourself and say ‘i won’t compare’. Every talented artist does this; as a matter of fact, they all keep tabs on each other. This is what makes artist biographies so interesting :^)

1 Like

I’ve given you some excellent advice that is neither naive nor bad advice. I also gave some good tips in a previous response to which you completely ignored. I will not be offering anymore but simply focusing on my own rather successful art business. Good Luck Simon

2 Likes

Something a teacher said that has stuck with me is “there is always somebody better than you and somebody worse than you.” I try to make each piece the best I have ever made, learn from the mistakes, and move on. Trying not to compare with others has taken a long time. I have been very insecure in my art, and it took a lot of time before I put myself out there. Pricing fairly has always been tough. In a show where I sold my very first piece I had priced what I considered high, but it was on par with other art in the show. I was flabbergasted that someone would pay for my art!
It is likely that in shows where most art is priced in the 400 range the $2000 piece or $50 piece will not sell.
I have done some “business of the art” workshops that I found helpful, which where less about pricing, but more about things like finding your audience, setting goals and taking the steps to get there; making a plan and re-evaluating. Finding out who your audience is seems like the most important lesson I learned. Look at who has bought your art so far. Young/old, what are common interests, etc. See if there is a common threat, and what venues do you sell best. When you put it all together a picture emerges and that is the audience to go after and show to. There is not much use in throwing your art all over the place and hoping someone will buy. There are unexpected outliers of course. For myself I seem to do well with middle aged women and nature lovers.
Ok, all this does not answer the question about pricing. For myself I have set a price that I am happy with, but I also increase gradually. I’ve been told by several people that my prices are too low, so I guess I have room to grow them.

And, it does not mean that tomorrow that one buyer who does want it won’t pop up and see it on the site and grab it up. You can’t force people to buy art that they don’t want because of the “collectability” of the Artist - unless your name is Monet, or Picasso. My point is, you paint for one of only two reasons: Because you have to, and it doesn’t matter if you sell or don’t sell - or because you want to make money. Some people may disagree with those reasons and say there are more. Perhaps as a ancillary reason, yes. But not the primary. So why argue over which reason we do what we do, or why we should do it differently. Each of us has our reason for doing this. Each reason is just as valid as the other.

1 Like