What is your favorite book about creativity?

Mine is “Art & Fear.” I’d love to hear yours!

2 Likes

Just have to say I agree about Art & Fear. I read it a few years ago and it was like they were talking to me directly, I could relate so well, so I’m guessing it’s pretty universal. I’ve started re-reading it again recently just to remind myself!

If you’ve never read The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather, it is an incredible journey that a woman takes to explore and bring her artistic talents to fruition. It is about a singer, not a painter, but the work and sacrifice she suffers through mirrors any artist’s journey.

I like “The Zen of Seeing” by Frederick Franck

1 Like

I really enjoyed “Creative Thursday: Everday Inspiration To Grow Your Creative Practice” by Marisa Anne Cummings. It helps you recognize what things you are allowing to get in the way of your creative endeavors “resistance”, and how to overcome the challenges of life that are crowding out your artistic endeavors. If you feel you just don’t have enough time to be creative this is a great read!

My favourite book of the moment is yours Carol…Daily Painting. I have read it three times and am now on the fourth! Great book. Thank you.

2 Likes

I am presently reading the War of Art by Steven Pressfield and really enjoying it! It discusses internal resistance and your own creativity. Some sections have really resonated with me and made me more aware of these behaviors. Love the new forum by the way Carol!

1 Like

I have listened to the “War of Art” by Steven Pressfield on my iPod everytime I get stuck around what to do next. It really helps an artist to stop the stalling process. Don’t allow the off putting book title stop you from reading it!

1 Like

I also have really come to appreciate ’ Art & Fear’. I keep in the bedside table! Another book that I have on my shelf in my studio is ‘The Artists’ Way by Julia Cameron. A classic. I have done the exercises in Artists’ Way a few times over the years and still do morning pages when I feel the ‘pipes’ are blocked. This is a great forum. I’ll be checking out the other suggestions for sure.

1 Like

Thank you Kathy for introducing me to Julia Cameron. I have just read some of her blog and it all fits with my art life and the way I try to focus on things… I will be following her from now on.

I’ve recently read The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp. There’s lots of good inspiration in it for forming a routine to maximize your creative habit as well as interesting perspectives on your creative personality. Even though she’s a coreographer, there’s references to music, dance, some art, writing, and just creativity in general. Also read War on Art by Steven Pressfield. It’s really helpful when I need that extra nudge into the studio.

The Art Spirit by Robert Henri. Dated, but still inspirational with some good advice.

1 Like

Top #1 of course is Carol’s book.
The one and only “Daily Painting Bible”

For designers - visualization - advertising: “Visual Creativity” by Mario Pricken
For learning how to paint: James Gurney’s “Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter”

2 Likes

Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer
Daily Rituals: How Artists Work by Mason Currey

I have just found a little beauty online and bought a very good second hand copy…Anna Held Audette’s ‘The Blank Canvas; Inviting the Muse’ Published in 1993. This has been an inspiring read and certainly gets to be keeping Carol’s book company on my bedside table.

I am just finishing ‘Art and Fear’…thank you for recommending. Awesome.

My most current fave is BIG MAGIC by Elizabeth Gilbert. Yes, the Eat, Pray, Love author. It is one of the best descriptions I have ever read about the experience of the creative process. Spiritual, practical, and lots of good fun.

1 Like