What is your favorite art quote?

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” - Wayne Dyer

1 Like

“Paintings don’t really end, they just arrive at interesting places.”

3 Likes

A patron once asked me “How do you know when you’re finished?” I said “I don’t, I just know when I’m done.” That seemed to satisfy her even though I was joking.

2 Likes

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~ Scott Adams

2 Likes

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time…

3 Likes

“Keep your friends close and your values closer” - Carolyn Lord

2 Likes

“There are two men inside the artist, the poet and the craftsman. One is born a poet. One becomes a craftsman”…Emila Zola

1 Like

1 Like

“Art is what you can get away with.” - Andy Warhol

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” -Vince Lombardi

“Don’t worry about perfection. You’ll never achieve it.” - Salvador Dali

1 Like

“An artist with a fixed idea is like a goose trying to hatch a stone.” – Unk.

“Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us
just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part
and a bolt of lightening to strike you in the brain, you are not going
to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the
process; they come out of the work itself.”

• Chuck Close

"Paint a hundred studies: keep any number of clean canvases ready, of all shapes and sizes so that you are never held back by the sudden need of one. You can’t do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh.” - John Singer Sargent

4 Likes

“A dot is a line that went for a walk.” - Paul Klee

1 Like

“The dignity of the artist lies in his duty of keeping awake the sense of wonder in the world.”

“If I create from the heart, nearly everything works; if from the head, almost nothing.”

Marc Chagall

1 Like

“Being able to draw and paint is like always having a bag of lemon drops in your pocket”

Norman Rockwell

2 Likes

The art quote that speaks to me most is:

“If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.”
― Vincent van Gogh

• I don’t know about the rest of you but I hear that voice almost daily!
2 Likes

“Art should disturb the comfortable & comfort the disturbed.” -Bansky

3 Likes

One of my favorite people to quote when it comes to art, is Winston Churchill:

When I die and go to heaven, I want to spend the first million years painting – so I can get to the bottom of the subject.

Painting is a companion with whom one may walk a great part of life’s journey.

Painting a picture is like trying to fight a battle.

A heightened sense of the observation of nature is one of the chief delights that have come to me through trying to paint.

There is no better exercise than to study and devour a picture, and then, without looking at it again, to attempt the next day to reproduce it.

Light and colour, peace and hope, will keep painters company to the end of the day.

The painter wanders and loiters contentedly from place to place, always on the lookout for some brilliant butterfly of a picture which can be caught and carried safely home.

Happy are the painters, for they shall not be lonely.

(when trying to paint a pale blue sky) My hand seemed arrested by a silent veto.

Armed with a paint-box, one cannot be bored, one cannot be left at a loose end, one cannot ‘have several days on one’s hands.’

1 Like

“The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it.” Banksy

2 Likes