Using Arches oil paper

I am interested to know if anyone uses Arches oil paper for their work (or some of their work), and if so, whether or not they have actually sold work on this support (considering that most people expect oils to be on board or canvas). In addition, have they framed the work under glass or mounted it on a board and varnished it, etc? Any thoughts welcomed; I’ve got a 12x9 inch pad of the stuff at home, which I’m playing with.

I will add my voice to yours. I’m off to the art store to buy some today and have the same questions. Very timely topic!

Hello Christine and Kathy,
I got a 9x12 pad once for free when I placed an order through Dick Blick as a promotion when it first came out. It does not need to be framed behind glass if you mount it flat to a panel. It can be treated just like a regular panel, esp. if you have varnished. My first attempt had me thinking it was a bit too absorbent for oils but I liked it more the second time. The second painting I used a thicker initial wash and had fun with the watercolor look you can get. Not having an actual primed layer makes it stain very deeply so there is less going back and wiping out to white like you can on gessoed panels. I have not used the paper in awhile but I did like it enough to buy one of the larger pads (might use it for travel?) Here are some Magnolia flowers I did on the 9x12. The buyer did not seem at all concerned that it was on paper. Might actually be a selling point if you put in the description how cool and modern this new tech is. Looking back on this old painting it looks more like a pastel instead of oil. That might be one effect the paper surface has.

4 Likes

Here is one more on the Arches Oil Paper.

Thanks for the pics, Dalan, I’m very encouraged to see someone else’s work on this paper, they look really good. I also noticed how it’s possible to get watercolour-like effects with the paint, so you can work thick and thin with it, just like on board. I’ve only done one or two efforts and I’d like to persevere, especially since dispatching paper is easier and lighter in weight than stretched canvas. The paper has been around a while, but I just haven’t heard of many people using it.

Hello Christine,
I have used oil painting paper for many of my small paintings, I mounted it on a board for strength and easy shipping. They have been sold without frame. The paper is good for impasto work, but also can be used with thin paint for water color effects.

Hi Christine,

I have used this paper several occasions with great success. I packed it with me on a painting trip earlier this year because it’s lightweight and oils dry within a day or two for the trip back. As mentioned, they can be too absorbent which sucks the life out of the colour and I found this to be true as well. Since then, I’ve been sealing the paper first with 2 coats of a Golden product called GAC100. GAC400 also works well. Once sealed, I find that I can wipe the surface back to white and rework if necessary. I rather like the surface - slicker than canvas but not as slippery as gessoed panels.

Thanks Jane, I’ve got some GAC100 but had not thought of trying it on this oilpaper. Was playing with it this afternoon and yes it does suck paint very noticeably. There’s still quite a bit of experimenting to be done with this paper but it is rather pleasant to work on.

Hello Christine,

Any success with the Arches oil paper? I do love using the Arches oil paper and sold one of my paintings that was done on it however, I stopped using it… I just think that oil on paper is not very common especially when you want to sell it. Also I am afraid that buyers would not know how to frame it…

Hi, yes I have done a couple of paintings so far on this paper; one of them is in the gallery, Winter Clouds at Loch Tay. I agree oils on paper is not so common but if you include written details on the website about how it can be framed (with a mount/mat board and under glass, or mounted to a panel and varnished, etc) then the buyer has some immediate information to hand. Or, sell it already framed (which I don’t because of overseas postage costs).
I also consider (selfishly) my own interests, I don’t always want to paint on canvas—which is what the public tend to expect—and thus use other supports like gessobord and the paper. If the work doesn’t sell merely because it’s on paper then that’s too bad, I guess; but if someone really likes your work with a view to buying it then it shouldn’t really be a barrier.
I wouldn’t stop using it if you really like it…focus on your own development rather than the sales.

I’ve used it 4 or 5 times, and am so impressed that I ordered 5 sheets of it. most of my work is quarter sheet, and I am a watercolourist normally so I am not so disturbed by painting on paper. It is very absorbent, and white also,

i have framed one of the paintings mounted behind glass and it is more like a watercolour when viewed that way.

I would certainly recommend giving it a go.

I’ve used Arches oil paper for quite a while and with great results. I just find it so versatile.

At first i too was unsure about using it for client work but on the whole customers have benefited from having the ability to get a frame that fits the work and their home as well as their budget plus the added bonus of reduced shipping cost for international customers.
You can see the range of work on my website :http://www.donnareadman.com/

1 Like

Your work is absolutely stunning Donna. Beautiful.
Are all those oil portraits done on Arches Oil paper?

1 Like

Thank you very much.
As i get better at painting i get better at managing other surfaces but I mostly use Arches or Acrylic primed mdf although i have tried many, many other supports.

Hi Donna,
I have painted on paper on many occasions over the years, mostly as studies. I bought some Arches oil paper recently and I have been trying it out. It seems to be very good. Might I ask, do you varnish your work on paper or advise the client to frame under glass? Thank you.

1 Like

Very pretty! I have tried paper before too and yours is lovely.

1 Like

Hi Joseph
I do varnish my paintings with Gamblins Gamvar. Heres the exact one https://www.jacksonsart.com/gamblin-gamvar-picture-varnish-gloss-125ml-by-road-parcel-only?___store=jacksonsart_en&acc=34173cb38f07f89ddbebc2ac9128303f

I prefer to use this varnish as its the only one i’m aware of that you can use when the painting is touch dry. I often use gloss but sometimes i use the Matt and Satin too.

Some customers don’t glaze their frame but most do.

For my personal collection i don’t frame but instead fix the painting to board using a PH neutral PVA.
Hope that helps.
Donna

Savacado - thank you very much! How did you find the paper?

I was just painting small less than 4x6, and aceo size so it worked great. I appreciated the extra absorbency for that little a painting.

Thank you Donna. Regards Joseph.