Prepayment vs drop-off; insurance; drying time

After the parchment or tracing paper against the painting, I place cardboard top and bottom, then I place (small works) in a bubble wrap envelope. A bit larger goes in a box. Once the cardboard protects it you can use bubble wrap or any padding you want.

If a painting is very wet I say in shipping that it will be ready to ship on xx/xx/xx date. When purchased I restate that in an email to the buyer.

1 Like

Thanks, Andrea. Very helpful!

Have you thought about using Gamvar made my Gamblin. They say their product can be used as soon as a painting is ā€œdry to the touch.ā€ I use this and have found it quite good. It takes a little getting used to so itā€™s good to try on ones you arenā€™t planning on posting. I only had one problem and sent an email to Gamblin. They called back and explained how to undo my mistake. They rescued me and saved my painting of my granddaughter.

Thanks, Vana. In fact I did just buy a jar of Gamvar and I hope to try it soon. I have some old paintings lying around to test it on. Once the weather is a bit nicer outside. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Hi Carol, Iā€™m curious as to what scale you use to weigh your packages for pick up. There are so many to choose from so what works for you? During these coronavirus days I donā€™t plan on going to the Post Office if I can help it so I need to figure this out.

Deb Kirkeeide

Hi Deb! I honestly canā€™t remember where I got my scale (maybe Costco?), but there are a million of them on Amazon. Hereā€™s an inexpensive one that should do (up to 50 pounds): https://www.amazon.com/ACCUTECK-W-8250-50bs-Digital-Adapter-Silver/dp/B00SMHWZ42/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=scale+for+shipping&qid=1586647541&sr=8-3

Or hereā€™s a pink one that goes up to 86 pounds : ) https://www.amazon.com/Accuteck-DreamGold-Digital-Shipping-Postage/dp/B016LL8AIU/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=scale+for+shipping&qid=1586647541&sr=8-4

I hope that helps.
-Carol

Thanks Carol! Iā€™ve been checking them out on Amazon, the reviews say some arenā€™t good for light packages and other reviews say the boxes wonā€™t get accurate weights if they hang over the plate. So confusing, I think it will be trial by fire.

Oh yeah, itā€™s good to read reviews! My husband is always reminding me of that. : ) Keep in mind though that you only need to weigh things for shipping to the pound, so if itā€™s a little off itā€™s no big deal. But there are so many - Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find one that has good reviews. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Deborah,
I have this one if it helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Shipping-Stainless-Readability/dp/B0153I0418

I actually have an older version. They are great, compact and weigh up to 440lbs!

If you need to weigh a large unwieldy item, place a board on it, zero it and then weigh your item.

Thanks for the info Jacqueline, I did already buy one, an Accuteck ShipPro 110lbs x 0.1oz. I havenā€™t tried it yet. Appreciate you sharing your info on a mail scale.