Painting on Panels

I am curious about how buyers frame their “panel” paintings. I paint on canvas but would like to try panels. Do buyers frame them with special frames? Do they rest them on a shelf? How do panels get displayed or hung? What are the purchasers options when displaying their art on panels?

1 Like

I frame both my 6x6" and my 8x8" panels in 8" square frames. The 8 inch ones just go in the frames without any kind of mat. The 6" ones, I center on black foam core cut to fit the frame and adhere them to it with book binding glue. This is what the local frame shop advised me to do. It makes them look fabulous.

6 Likes

What a lovely idea Colleen…then it keeps the 8 inch theme going. I shall get some black foam board.

Physically, panels will fit into any design of frame molding. The panel without mat is usually never thicker than, say, a watercolor + mat + backing.

Buyers will do what they want including gluing string to the back to hang it with, but most will probably frame it in some way.

If you want to save your buyer from the expense of custom framing, you can paint on a standard size painting panel in your area (here in the US, 8 x 10 in., 9 x 12 in., 11 x 14 in. and so on).

2 Likes

Thank you Davegehman. I started to glue small square dowels to the back of my panels to run a wire thru for hanging. But I like your idea of the string better. Then I don’t have to fuss with the panel. The dowel gluing was too much work and could possibly obstruct traditional framing anyway.

Small panels look good on a small easel or can be framed in a normal frame from the back. If you don’t want to cover any of the painting you can get “edge-to-edge” frames for a bit more from Frankenframes.com for a good price, or for a higher end, Kingofframes.com

2 Likes

I just took some 6x6" panels into a show and couldn’t frame them because of the size limitations of the show (art must be less than 7x7", including frame). Based on a friends advice, I cut 3x4x1" blocks and glued them about 2/3 of the way down on the back of the panel. Eye hooks on the top (actually did that before I glued), wire for hanging, and they look fabulous. A very contemporary look, they float off the wall and it makes an inexpensive material look much better.

4 Likes

Do you have a photo? Not sure I am following…

1 Like

They are all at a show in Portland and I am 5 hours away. If there are any left at the end of the show (fingers crossed there are not!), I will try to figure out how to post a photo.

1 Like

Good luck with your show!

1 Like

Thanks! I sold two paintings at the opening but don’t know if any since.

Nice! Congrats. Can’t wait to see how you framed them up.

1 Like

Congratulations! Good to hear. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you both! I appreciate the support!

I don’t like painting on panels. I used to do it but I find canvas more appealing for me.