Painting challenges - 30 in 30?

I really enjoy the DPW challenges and contests, and I heard that Leslie Saeta might offer a 30 paintings in 30 days challenge again this September. If not. I might just do it anyway for myself and invite others to join in with any kind of 30 - in 30 they would like. Have any of you tried this really challenging challenge? How was it for you?

1 Like

I tired! I was unable to get more than 5 or 6 done. It was because life became very busy. I would love to paint as an occupation but it hasnā€™t worked out that way. The trying though only for a week made me make quicker decisions with what I was going to paint and not lean so heavily on my mood. A little more discipline canā€™t hurt!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, Sunny. I think itā€™s great that you tried it and figured out some stuff for yourself from it. I donā€™t know that I will get much farther myself. I tend to paint in layers- at least 2, but have completed work in 2 hours or less. I plan to pick out about 40 photos and schedule 4 plein air sessions with spots prechosen, otherwise I will just waste time getting a subject. I will have difficulties on weekends because I work, but am hoping to cultivate the ability to do two in one day? Yikes. But that may work if I start two or three and let them set and finish in a kind of rota.That can work with plein air stuff too. Crazy undertaking!

It was a because of a challenge that I joined Daily Paintworks. A favourite teacher of mine, Matthew Mancini, challenged me to take 100 small boards and just get in there and 'wreck ā€˜emā€™! This was to help me overcome my tendency to over think and analyze as well as help me to loosen up. I decided not to make it 100 paintings in as many days because it would be like the New Yearā€™s resolutions that end up being abandonedā€“too much pressure. Instead, I just try to plan another idea while finishing up the present project and then take the next steps of planning, sketching, set up , separately in small ā€˜bitesā€™ of time. This has been working well. When the day comes for painting, I go for it. Donā€™t know when Iā€™ll reach 100 but Iā€™m improving in my painting and enjoying the journey!

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to try one of these challenges soon but not 30 in 30! Iā€™ll have to start with a smaller goal - my personality and painting style would make it difficult to finish one every day - Iā€™d look at day1 painting on day2 and want to do something maybe, by the end of the 30 days I might have 10 done and 20 I donā€™t like. But Iā€™ll try a shorter challenge. I think itā€™s a good learning tool but I donā€™t want to paint fast just for the sake of it and end up with low quality work. With this challenge you end up with rules (paint 1 in a day) and it locks you in. I want to create a fine work of art. I donā€™t care if it takes me 3 years. BUT, I will do a challenge for the learning esp. and the fun, and maybe Iā€™ll end up with a few finished pieces! Iā€™m a slow painter. This might help me to decide quicker. Thanks!

Iā€™m planning to try it - again. For me, stumbling upon Leslie Saetaā€™s Artists Helping Artists podcast and Carol Marine and Daily Paintworks around the same time has been life changing. I tried the challenge last Sept., and painted 6 paintings. BUT that was 5 more than I had painted the entire year before! I tried again in Jan., after figuring out that I had to paint small and simple and I did it! And I even liked about 1/3 of them. So now Iā€™m going to start a blog, maybe get brave enough to join DPW and put myself out there with the big kids. In short - it helped my painting.

Iā€™m wrapping up 100 portraits in 100 (or so) daysā€¦ it has been a LONG HAUL. Itā€™s part of the 100 Day Project, a design movement started by Elle Lunna

https://instagram.com/sketchy_steven/

The amazing thing is the discipline that develops from being a daily painter. I actually did form a ā€œhabitā€ and a huge urge to paint on days that I couldnā€™t. And I love learning and developing a process.

Good luck! Itā€™s been exceptionally fun and challenging. But I think iterating in public and learning more about the process has been illuminating. Sleep-depriving at times, but very helpful as I learn to paint faces and continue my journey to be a better painter.

3 Likes

Sorry not sure why it dumped my face in the middle of thatā€¦ you can see the paintings on my instagram.

Hi, Marjie - boy, I really hope you do join DPW- on DPW we all get to be big kids- at least Iā€™ve always been treated that way, I love being a part of it. I struggled with the big do it yourself learning curve with a blog and have returned to my Fine Art Studio on Line website/ blog where they do so much if the work for you. I think there are other sites like that too - one is Art Span. But Iā€™ve sold and blogged a bit right on my DP W page too. Iā€™m so impressed that you did the 30 in 30! If we both do that in September may I check in with you from time to time?
Betsy

1 Like

Well Steven, I think I sent my reply to Marjie to you too - sorry about that.mi really should stop using my IPad to do this instead of my computer! Iā€™m really impressed that you did a 100 in 100. Especially portraits! I will get on and look at your work. I love to see other peopleā€™ s art.
Betsy

Awesome paintings steven

Steve - great expressive faces!

1 Like

I have joined in two of Leslieā€™s challenges and the progress I made was amazing. I would encourage any artist to do the same. This January when I took up the challenge again I set my own challenge - to paint each day plein air. This I managed to do in spite of the frosts and rain. The idea being - if I can do this then I have no excuses. What happened? I slid back into the studio and had days of not painting so - bring on the next challenge, Iā€™m up for it. Plus, committing yourself publicly gives you more incentive.
here is a link to my results http://moteeuwart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/30-paintings.html

Thank you, Elisabeth. Iā€™ve been very humbled by the experience.

Thanks for your reply, Betsy. Youā€™ve given me a helping hand re the whole blog thing: DIY orā€¦ FASO? Iā€™m all for making my life easier, but I wasnā€™t sure if it was OK to use both FASO and DPW. Anyway, I would love it if we checked in with each other during the 30 in 30!

I did daily paintings during Februaryā€¦the shortest month of the year. It was a really good experience. If someone issues a September challenge, I would probably try it again.

Yes, itā€™s ON for 2015. I tried it in Jan of 2014 and made it to #20. Itā€™s still worth trying as you learn a lot about yourself, and if you focus on one thing to improve on, itā€™s worth it. You donā€™t have to produce sell-able art. Itā€™s a self-challenge, not a winnerā€™s contest. I think Iā€™m going to try again. Last year I was neck deep in a pet portrait fundraiser in September so could not do it. whoā€™s in?

I will try it again! I made it only to 5 or 6 I think on my last go. :blush:

Iā€™m in, regardless of whether Leslie Saeta does an organized 30- in-30, have challenged my church to join in with a 30-in-30 of their own sept 1-30 just for fun.

1 Like

I tried the 30 in 30 last January. Going into it, I was a bit worried that I would run out of subjects to paintā€¦but I found it was really easy to set up a little still life from stuff gathered around the houseā€¦spools of thread, toast and jam, flowers, toothbrush caddy by the sink (okay, I cheated there and took a photo to work from), eggs on a plate, fruit, a tube of hand cream, artist brushes in a container and so on. I did use photos for about 5 paintings in all, so the 30 did include a few landscapes. I worked in small sizes, from 3" x 5" up to 8" x 8". I worked a minimum of an hour on each piece and the longest was about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I finished most in one shot. When a busy day loomed, on a couple of occasions I painted 2 in one day (I was posting them daily to my blog / facebook and wanted to keep up the rhythm). It was a great experience and I highly recommend it. You will see a lot of growth in your work. I kept a journal in which I commented on different aspects of each piece, problems I had, questions and so on. I confess that I am now retired so I do have the luxury of time, but for anyone, it is an amazing motivator, especially if you post dailyā€¦a big incentive! It was also very gratifying to hear peopleā€™s feedbackā€¦so encouraging! I chose January because it seemed like a good way to focus and pick up my spirits in what is a very cold and dark time of year where I live, with not too much going on. You will not regret this whenever you start ā€¦best of luck to you!

1 Like