Daily Paintworks (DPW) | About DPW

Low number of views and engagement

(Michael William) #1

I know this is probably a very common concern among sellers here but I’ll bring it up anyway: is anyone else noticing a huge drop in views, gallery clicks, purchase clicks? I haven’t posted new work in about 5-6 months (didn’t realize it had been so long). I just posted 3 in the last 2 weeks or so and have been seeing half or less than half of the “averages” for all three posts. Now, it could totally be the work and I’m not trying to solely place blame on the site at all (also I think these are the slowest months for online commerce sites in general) but the numbers are pretty shocking to me. I mean most of the pieces are super colorful and grab your eye. One them was even bid on on eBay so this makes me think it’s not so much the work. Curious to hear others’ experiences, thanks!

(Sunny Avocado) #2

There are lots of topics by frustrated artists in the marketing topic: http://arttalk.dailypaintworks.com/c/the-business-of-selling-art/marketing you might want to peruse.

(Charlotte Fitzgerald) #3

I was wondering where the average views come from. If they are real time or historical. I am experiencing the same thing.

(Terri Brown-Davidson) #4

It’s the same thing for me…I’m suspecting it’s a seasonal thing. I think we’ll see a real leap up in terms of views as we approach the holidays!

(Patricia Ann Rizzo) #5

Not here. Number of views is high or higher then before BUT…no sales! I never thought I’d say this but I’m doing better on Ebay. Can’t remember my last sale on DPW and I list new work regularly. Seems every year it gets worse then the year before. Lots of looky lous…no buyers! :frowning: I promote heavily on Ebay groups and on twitter…wherever I can but no buyers on DPW.

(Cathleen Rehfeld) #6

Personally I have found that every time I get busy with some project other than DPW and go a month or so with out posting, I have a serious drop in sales when I start posting again. It takes about a month of very consistent posting for my sales to go back up. I had been distracted this summer by a Plein Air Event that I help put together and just didn’t find time to post, so now I’m trying to consistently post again. It takes patience to post and not see much action but continue to post. It happens every time though. I’m doing the Strada Easel challenge this month, just to get my motivation up to post, and it is also a way to get more different audiences looking at DPW and my own work. I include the link to DPW on my share to Strada Easel 30 day competition. Today is Day 17 of the Strada Easel Challenge. Get creative when it comes to sharing on Facebook to get more people looking. I also post on Instagram and Twitter.

(Libby Anderson) #7

I have been on here for about 4 years. I started out with much lower prices and have gradually increased. My beginning goal was to sell in order to buy more supplies to allow me to paint more-- selling my homework! I am selling better this year than last year; i think the key is consistency. I have rarely missed a day posting. I also post daily on Instagram and often on my blog. Those are free options.

(Christine Derrick) #8

Although I have sold work this year, the last sale on DPW was about a year ago, almost to the day, in fact. I tend to accept the fact that I am likely to sell fewer works because I am outside the USA and therefore have to add on international postage costs which push the prices up a bit. However, I do try to ensure that I don’t make a profit on that postage, but I have no control over exchange rates. Like others, I don’t expect to make a living from what I do, but any sales are turned back into more materials to keep me painting.
I am testing out a theory about the numbers of views, and so far my theory seems to be holding up. Since changing my painting routine and tackling a part of DPW that I have shied away from in the past, my viewing numbers have shot up, as have the gallery views. Whether that increase will eventually result in sales remains to be seen because the views may simply be from other artists and not potential purchasers.

Sales do happen here, judging by the stats pages…we’d just like more of em, of course.

(Theresa Taylor Bayer) #9

I’m keeping the faith. These things go in cycles.

(Vana Meyers) #10

I know I’m a year late in responding to this post but I’m now seeing exactly what you’re talking about. I just posted one that I like very much (that probably means nothing) and it has only about 1/3 the views of the average. It’s a bit shocking. What am I doing wrong?

(Carol Marine) #11

I have found, as well, that the more consistently I post, the better my sales are. If I’m posting regularly and getting regular bids, and then take a break (for a week or more), it’s as if people just forget about me, and whatever auctions were going get NO new bids. I think by posting I am reminding people to bid and buy, even if it’s for older work.

Also, I have found that summers are always slow. This summer is no exception, though I also haven’t been posting as frequently as I would like. If I were smart, I would pre-post for the times I am on vacation, so that things regularly come up! Oh well. :wink:

(Nan Johnson) #12

Vana - don’t judge your views against the Average. I think the average views for a day is getting skewed by the people who are re-posting an older piece. In other words, if the piece showed 6 months ago & had 50 views, and then is reposted tomorrow, it’ll carry those 50 views into the average for tomorrow. David can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve done quite a few advance auction setups like Carol suggested and was amazed that a date 7 days from today already had a lot of average views. I just hate to see any artist get dismayed that their work isn’t getting enough views.

(Vana Meyers) #13

Thank you, Nan, for those words of encouragement and for the explanation.

(Charlotte Fitzgerald) #14

I find that the more I post the better my sales rate is. Also it helps a lot to post to facebook as well.