Daily Paintworks (DPW) | About DPW

Impasto Painting Techniques

(Sian Foan) #1

What are the best brushes to use to create good impasto painting.

(Padmaja Madhu) #2

Hi Sian,
I mostly do impasto and use a knife, but loading the brush plays a great deal in getting the thickness rather than the brush itself I guess, here is a video link to how artist Brad Teare loads his brushes for his impasto works, the technique starts from the middle of the video. Hope this helps.

(Sian Foan) #3

Thanks for the link Padmaja, really helpful. Loved seeing such a liberal use of paint! Hopefully I’ll be inspired to experiment with this and get out of my comfort zone a bit.

(Sunny Avocado) #4

Yep, I just use a knife or anything handy on larger canvases.

(Sian Foan) #5

Thanks Sunny. Used more impasto in my last canvas, felt quite intuitive and helped to keep things loose too. Definitely the direction I want to be heading more.

(David Randall) #6

An artist I know approaches it in another way. Sculmbling instead of the more common knife method. It’s more like dry brush with oils. I’m sure adding a wax or gel medium likely or rare using this technique to keep it thick. His work built up quite a thick layer of paint. It must have been costly for paint. I became layers of color so that colors were as much mixed by your eye as on a pallet. I’m sure they were time consuming because it was not wet on wet but each layer had to dry for him to easily add layers on top.

(Sian Foan) #7

I would think using a dry brush gives you a bit more control too. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.