Have you found any good free videos on Youtube?

Please share the link. Thanks!

3 Likes

I like these time lapse demos by Colley Whisson.

2 Likes

Not exactly considered an instructional video to many people, but extremely so for me. Not in the nitty gritty of materials but a broader subject video. I picked up nuggets here and there but i most enjoy learning about other peopleā€™s process and seeing their personality come out in paint as Iā€™m watching. Especially Jim McVicker

1 Like

Thank you Sunnyā€¦I have watched five minutes of Jim McVicker and will watch the rest later tonight. I enjoy watching Brian Rutenberg in New York. He has videos on YouTube from his studio. www.brianrutenbergart.com

3 Likes

Mike Rooney has posted some good videos on you tube. He has a relaxed and straight forward approach and covers a range of topics. I really like his work too,

This is a good watercolor demo by David Taylor

Heā€™s an amazing colorist!

I enjoyed a video by Robert Hagan, ā€œYou can paint your petā€. It was simple and informative.

7 Likes

I learned some useful stuff from Skye Taylor. http://youtu.be/z-nQeZhDMrA

I plan on trying pastels, and the person that motivated me to at least put it on my list of plansā€¦is Karen Margulis and her youtube channel is here.

Colley Whisson seascapes
Les Darlow, his skies!

I guess just like me art, I bounce around a lot to different mediums, different subject matter.

3 Likes

It seems really good artists on YouTube post snippets of tutorials as a means of introducing DVDs or online lessons. Still, you can get a lot out of a few minutes. I LOVE New Zealander Richard Robinsonā€™s work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P36W-in5w_PoPZL1xu09A

John Crump in Australia - really good
Jim McVicker video is good too

Itā€™s great to check out everyoneā€™s favorites. Thanks for the suggestions.

I donā€™t think Andy Dolphin has been mentioned. He has some very informative videos on YouTube.

I am not much into doing this art form myself but I have very much enjoyed watching a number of these videos by concept design artist Feng Zhu. It is a fascinating peak into the world of those who create ideas for movies and video games.

http://fengzhudesign.com/tutorials.htm

Hey @garyw! Even though it is not traditional art, I think I can learn a lot and use it in my art form, thanks for the link!

His art is beauttiful! I am checking into his vids now, thanks for the name! So much great art, so little time! :smiley:

For those who enjoy figure drawing but canā€™t make it to the life drawing studio, I highly recommend ā€˜Croquis Cafeā€™ and ā€˜New Masters Academyā€™ videos with timed poses:

Itā€™s a great resource and I use it all the time!

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE Brian Rutenberg. He is so articulate and has so much art history knowledge it is amazing. And he can be funny. Iā€™ve see all 40-something of his videos, some more than once. They are not how to videos, but he talks about his work, his process, and his journey.

3 Likes

@purplehaze After reading your post I started watching the Rutenberg videos. Love them. I mean, the paintings are great, too, of course, but finding an artist who really gets deep into his philosophy of painting was such a refreshing find. Thanks for posting about him.

3 Likes

I have Brian in my favourites and have followed him since his first video. I often have them playing whilst I paintā€¦sometimes not to watch but to listen. Great. I find him inspiring.

1 Like

@woodworks Just followed the thread further up, and it looks like I should actually be thanking you, Anne, for mentioning Rutenberg. So thanks :slight_smile:

Watching them made me remember how much I actually like abstract art, as did a film I just saw this morning on Docurama about Joan Mitchell.

1 Like