Cutting up an old painting

Anyone have experience with cutting out part of the canvas of an old painting and gluing it on a panel?

I’ve done this. What do you want to know?

What kind of adhesive did you use? I have a couple of “bad painting” 8x8 panels I could use. Any other tips appreciated. Thanks!

You can use PVA glue or Elmers, but I usually just use acrylic matte medium. Here is a video that shows pretty much what I do, except I apply the glue or medium to the canvas rather than the panel. Also, I use a brayer (hard rubber roller) to press the canvas to the panel before weighting it down evenly overnight. If your panels have paint on them, you’ll want to sand them a little to make sure they’re smooth. If they’re painted with oil paint, I’m not sure how that would affect the bond.

2 Likes

What’s the largest piece you’ve done this technique with, may I ask?

1 Like

Thanks very much Connie. Sounds like it would be better to use new, unpainted panels - they’re cheap enough!

1 Like

The largest I’ve mounted this way was probably 15 x 24. The considerations would be the weight of the panel (unless it’s gator board, bigger is pretty heavy), getting the glue spread evenly before any of it dries, and weighting it down evenly.

1 Like

Thanks Connie! I just wrestled with a 40 x 60 painting and only had one area wasn’t happy with and had I seen your post earlier I may have cut it up and try that make smaller ones mounted instead of going over the entire thing starting over like I did. Waahhh.

1 Like

I have cut sections from a larger canvas art piece;
I just folded the edges over a piece of Masonite
and then stapled at the corners (like some ready made canvases are done). Once in a
frame, cover the back with sturdy paper, foam core or even plain fabric…tuck into the frame
and staple to the rabbet. I’ve only done this in small size such as 5x7 or smaller. Be sure
you allow some edge beyond what you plan to show in the frame for folding; I used no
glue, just counted on the tight fit to work for me.

1 Like

Great info - thanks!

1 Like

I have done the same as Connie. Recently a painting I had did not fit the frame I wanted for it. Instead of glue I just used acrylic gesso. Since I prepare my own canvas this seemed to work best. The video is excellent. I just used a plain Masonite panel. An old credit or gift card makes an excellent spreader. Good luck, trying something new. Hope it comes out great!

Maggie B

1 Like