Cleaning oil painting brushes

I tried soaking some old brushes in Murphy’s oil soap after reading this thread, but my results were disappointing. The brushes all fanned out after soaking them for 24+ hours and then rinsing and drying them. They were all old brushes that I wasn’t using anymore, so it was no great loss, but I ended up throwing most of them away.

Sorry about that Tom, I didn’t have that issue at all. After they soak, I wash them and dip them into boiling water to get shape back. Not really sure why yours fanned out. I guess it make a difference what kind of bristles. I just have cheap brushes from Michaels, the artist pro series but compared to what real pros use, I’m sure mine are cheap.

I used a cleaning solvent on my brushes and it works great!!!

Since I started reading this thread I have changed my brush cleaning method to using Murphys Oil Soap and it is working GREAT. It seams to dissolve the oil paint out and the bristles rinse out clean and soft. I use this Aluminum Brush Washer from Blick: https://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-aluminum-brush-washer/#photos . Fill it about an inch high with Murphys and add some warm water. Then I push my brushes into the coils so they dont rest on the bottom of the container and soak them overnight. Next morning - rinse, dry and paint! I like it better than The Masters Brush soap. So far, so good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great item I have never seen and will be purchasing immediately. Thanks!!

I purchased it and it works superbly for the medium to large size brushes that I use. Smaller ones I use I have to put a little bit paper towel around the handle and they also work superbly. thank you again!

1 Like

I stopped washing my brushes over a year ago. I just rinse them in walnut oil during and after painting, then leave them in a brush washer filled with clean walnut oil https://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-aluminum-brush-washer/#photos. My brushes stay perfectly shaped, it takes almost zero time or effort to upkeep, and I don’t have to deal with any solvents, win, win, win. This method won’t make your brushes last forever though. The ends will wear down and fray with use, but at least it’ll hold its shape until then. I use pretty cheap brushes right now and they last 3-6 months depending on how much I paint. I may get a little more time out of higher quality brushes, but I haven’t bought any yet. If I do wash brushes for some reason, I use Murphy oil soap, it works wonders.

1 Like